Labor secretary Alex Acosta resigns

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Acosta resigned due to his having given a plea deal to financier Jeffrey Epstein for sex crimes.

This was sleazy. But I think we need to keep in mind that all sorts of people, including fmr. President Bill Clinton, had dealings with Jeffrey Epstein.

The Epstein case (and others) ought to serve as a warning to us all that wealthy and well-connected people get to deal with a very different US Justice System than the rest of us, and vastly different to what poor people of color experience.

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Acosta resigned due to his having given a plea deal to financier Jeffrey Epstein for sex crimes.

This was sleazy. But I think we need to keep in mind that all sorts of people, including fmr. President Bill Clinton, had dealings with Jeffrey Epstein.

The Epstein case (and others) ought to serve as a warning to us all that wealthy and well-connected people get to deal with a very different US Justice System than the rest of us, and vastly different to what poor people of color experience.
Wow, only took 2 posts before someone tried to bring Clinton into this.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts

I think we need to also keep in mind that the cards are to fall where they fall. If Clinton is part of it, lock him up. If trump was part of it, lock him up. Epstein needs to be put away for a long period of time (Trump vocabulary here)

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017

@2:00

Trump: You know what I know about Alex? He was a great student at Harvard. He's Hispanic which I so admire.

:D:D

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC

@2:00

Trump: You know what I know about Alex? He was a great student at Harvard. He's Hispanic which I so admire.

:D:D
You left out the most damning part, the rest of that quote from Trump: “because maybe it was a little tougher for him and maybe not.” For any other president in modern history, a public statement that Harvard may have been tougher for one of his appointees, because he was Hispanic, would be met with the appropriate level of outrage, but for Trump, it’s just another day.