LaCie Beep of Doom: The End is Near? Is my Big Disk 1TB HD dying?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mfsnyc, May 31, 2009.

1. mfsnyc macrumors newbie

I have two 1TB LaCie Big Disk Extremes (I know, that sounds like pizza). I use one of them on a daily basis (I'll call that Disk 1), the other (I'll call it Disk 2) I only turn on to back up the files from Disk 1 onto it (using Chronosync as kindly recommended by a forum member). Disk 2 is rarely on.

Disk 1 is on almost all day long & in use frequently- I mostly store image files to it. This evening it suddenly made one high pitched beep & the blue light flickered a little. (I've never heard a peep from this HD before). Immediately I used Chronosync to back it up to Disk 2. During the synchronization, it made 3 beeps in a row- but Chronosync continued and my files were properly backed up.

MY QUESTIONS: is my hard drive about to die?

To anyone who has experienced these noises: what happened to your hard drive after this? How long did it last?

Sigh ... these babies are less than a year old.

Thanks in advance to anyone for their input/experiences.

Product:
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10922

2. mfsnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

As a follow-up, the drive continues to work fine. Dunno what the beeping was all about, but I'd heard that meant bad things. Anyway, not that this thread is being followed, but thought I'd post this if someone was researching similar problem. Will post if anything changes!

3. rakuen macrumors newbie

LaCie beep

My LaCie drive, too makes beep sometimes. I use the drive everyday for about a year. The first time I heard the beep, I was puzzled. It was a small sound and didn't repeat, so I wasn't sure if it was from the drive. I heard it again for maybe a week later. Then again. And again, occasional, quite beep... I sent email question to LaCie, but never received reply. The drive is working fine (?) so far... I have lost a few Hard drives in the past and each time, a noise was the warning sign. Let me know if you find any news.