LaCie hard disk fails to spin up after sleep under Lion, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RoboCop001, Oct 9, 2011.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hey everyone

I've been having a weird issue with my 1TB LaCie d2 Quadra v3.

This problem appears to be random as I can't identify any pattern as of yet.

The hard disk sometimes fails to spin up once spun down after a period of inactivity. Attempting to access or eject the hard disk results in the Finder freezing. The only remedy is to switch the hard disk off and on.

This also sometimes happens after the computer goes to sleep, but more often it happens when the computer is powered on and the hard disk spins down from inactivity.

It does not happen all the time so I can't determine what the problem is. There are no abnormal sounds coming from the drive itself and no data seems to be corrupt.

I can't be sure if the problem is with Mac OS X Lion or the hard drive.

I'm will be contacting LaCie as well, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

2. LSF macrumors newbie

I am about to purchase a LaCie d2 Quadra v3 2 TB drive, which I will connect with Firewire to iMac Time Machine running Lion. I have been shocked to read about the problems, and was hoping someone here could verify that the firmware update mentioned does indeed fix this problem. Thanks in advance for any feedback.