LaCie - USB 3.0 - 3TB - Porsche 9233 / d2 Quadra /or Seagate 3TB - Model STCA3000101?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nick2421, Oct 26, 2012.

1. nick2421, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

nick2421 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase an external 3TB USB 3.0 drive when the new iMac's are available for purchase. (Looking to retire my old PC)

This new drive will be used to hold my iTunes library.

Does anyone have either the 3TB LaCie Porsche 9233 (5400 rpm) or the 3TB d2 Quadra (7200 rpm)?

The 2 Quadra is about $50 more, and has additonal interfaces (fireware, ESata) that I won't use.

Wondering If I would be ok with a 5400 rpm drive for the iTunes library, or the extra $50 for the 7200 rpm speed would be worth it / needed?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. nick2421 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. ahan.tm macrumors regular

For speed, I would recommend a nice Thunderbolt drive. I have used Lacie and Seagate, and recommend both.

4. connorpb7 macrumors newbie

The 5400rpm drive will be fine for use with an iTunes library.

5. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

I had bad experiences with desktop seagate drives, the 3TB FW800 mac version specifically. The mobile 1.5tb is a bit loud but is fine (so far). For max space/dollar I'd look at the 4TB usb3.0. Short of external SSDs, there is no performance reason to go for TB versions, unless for neatness sake.

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Get a time capsule, I have USB 3 drives and I was thinking about the beauty of no wiees

7. ByronicHero, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

ByronicHero macrumors newbie

UPDATE: LaCie graciously replaced my d2 Quadra v3 with a refurb unit that worked out of the box with USB 3.0 on my new Mac. Previous issue probably caused by "older" stock sold from Amazon or just a bad unit.

I would also like to add that I would still recommend any LaCie drive, even the d2 Quadra v3, but would suggest purchasing directly from LaCie.com or Apple.com.

8. LaCieTech macrumors member

Hi,

Our older drives are definitely compatible with newer Apple products. The "incompatibility" that seems to be in question here is a misunderstanding regarding the functionality of USB 2.0 verses 3.0. Our drives will mount on any Apple but unless USB 3.0 is supported (either via native drivers or our drivers and PCI card) the device will mount as a USB 2.0 device. The models listed on that site are merely the drives that ship with UAS compatible boards, making them "optimized" for use with Apples but that shouldn't imply their our only compatible models.

Older Macs did not support USB 3.0 and that's what the requirement to use our card was for. It does not mean that you can only use the drives with our cards, only that you need our cards if you want it to transfer at USB 3.0 speeds. Newer Mac's with UAS USB 3.0 will mount any of the disks.

So in short: our older USB 3.0 drives will work on new Macs that have built in USB 3.0 without a problem and older macs without it with our PCI card and drivers. I hope this clears up the confusion.

~mn, LaCie

9. ByronicHero, Oct 30, 2012

UPDATE: LaCie graciously replaced my d2 Quadra v3 with a refurb unit that worked out of the box with USB 3.0 on my new Mac. Previous issue probably caused by "older" stock sold from Amazon or just a bad unit.

10. Moshu macrumors member

I have the Seagate 3TB drive. Using it as network drive with my Airport Extreme.

Crappy network speed due to Airport USB 2.0 limitation, but I can always connect it directly to my USB 3.0 mac for maximum speed when I need to transfer a lot of data fast.

Only have it for few weeks, but as far I can tell it's an OK drive with a good price point. I would recommend it without questions for your iTunes library.

One more thing: no matter what you hear, there is no significant performance boost between 5400 and 7200 rpm external drives, unless you transfer hundreds of gigabytes and you don't want to wait an extra 5 minutes every hour. But in real-life usage... don't bother making the choice based on that.

Regards!

11. g4cube macrumors 6502a

I think the problem is unique to your particular V3 Quadra drive.

I just picked up a 3TB LaCie Quadra drive and set it up to work with both Windows 8 on an Acer laptop, and on my Macbook Pro with Retina display. Both connecting using USB 3.0

Seems to be working fine with several hundred gigabytes being copied without issue. Partitioned drive into 2 partitions; formatting one as NTFS when using Windows 8 and the other as Mac OS Extended using OS X.

Getting about 180MB/sec read/write on both platforms.

Something is likely wrong with your drive, or something is wrong with your cables, or perhaps something even wrong with your Mac, though you did say the other USB 3.0 devices seem to be working OK.

Make sure your Mac has all the latest updates. I tested using OS X 10.7.5

I also have some Seagate and WDC USB 3.0 drives that seem to work, but provide less performance; the LaCie is 7200 RPM, while the Segate and WDC are 5400/5900 RPM drives.

12. ByronicHero, Nov 2, 2012

13. g4cube macrumors 6502a

I just tried to PM you. You have PM blocked on your account.

Yes, of course you can PM me.

14. ByronicHero, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

Ah sorry, apparently I need a post count of at least five before I can send/receive Private Messages.

----------

This should be fifth or so, I'll PM you later once I'm allowed to. Thanks g4.