Lack of a unified file system across apps is annoying.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dammit Cubs, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I have to say it's been a while since I"m back on the Ipad. I had to first one for a year and then skipped the second one waiting for the third one. But after 2 years, its really annoying to me that Apple will not create a unified file system where apps can share data across one another.

I had to upload pictures to goodreader so I can zip it and then upload it to dropbox. The upload didn't work for some reason, so I went to the dropbox app, but it doesn't detect nor do I know a way to get the zip file generated in Goodreader to port over to the dropbox app.

It's things like this that makes me wish apple created a unified downloads or dummy folder for all apps to use. They are gimping it on purpose to only keep their mobile laptop line more relevant. It blows.

Please fix this apple!!!

2. elmo151 Guest

I agree

a file system and easy printing are major omissions

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Is there a reason why you had to zip the files on goodreader in the first place?

Why can't you just upload photos directly from your iPad to Dropbox?

4. whtrbt7, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Most people probably won't need a file system. If you're working with office files, it's good to use quickoffice for transfer, editing, creation, as well as connectivity to dropbox. It's a fast solution that doesn't require too much. If you're using iWork, they sync directly to iCloud but if you want to drop it into dropbox, you just set up webDAV to your dropbox account and voila, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote can get deposited to Dropbox. You can also use an FTP to store documents if you have an FTP server. FTPOnTheGo is a great way to access FTP if you want access that's a little more seamless.

It seems like for your usage, you could use an FTP with FTPOnTheGo for access.

Edit Additional Content:
    Ah, on the flip side, Airprint is pretty busted which is why I e-print. There's just a lot more control. Airprint normally seeks to use the best settings for what you're printing but for those of you not running color laser printers, you will see your ink usage increase. Even though I'm using color laser e-print, I still want a lot of web content in black and white so at least I can set e-print for color or black and white and print anywhere worldwide.

5. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Because I need to share these photos with an organization. I'm sure they don't have dropbox and the file size is too large for email. Dropbox doesn't link folders they link single files. So I need to compress all the files into a zip to make it a single file for transfer.

6. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Sounds to me like you're trying to use an ipad for what it what it was never designed for.

Get the right tool for the job!

7. lilo777 macrumors 603

Do you mean Android tablet?

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

He means a laptop lol :D.

Yousendit is pretty good if you're doing informal file sending. if you're really a stickler for security like me, secured FTP is the only way to go.

9. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

10. waynep macrumors 6502

Check out Box.net . . . I think you can share folders and they support WebDAV without another web site since Dropbox won't do it itself.

I think you can share folders there also.

11. doboy macrumors 68000

That's not good for anything, and I have one.:rolleyes:

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

App sandboxing is a big problem on iOS and soon the Mac. Apple needs to come up with a workable safe way to have apps talk to each other.

A basic Finder with a downloads, documents, photos, etc. would be a step in the right direction. But I know it probably won't happen. Something like Dropbox built into iOS.

Because of the iOS limitations I carry both an iPad and a MacBook Air to do work on.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I just now discovered iExplorer, and although it is not a solution to this problem, it is a GODSEND!!! I can now browse my iPad's file structure without jailbreaking, and delete files to my heart's content. Haven't tried copying yet, but at least I can see!!!!

14. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If you are jailbroken check out iFile it is litterally a file browser for your device, and it is also the single reason I jailbreak my device every update.

Download a .zip file with some download enabled browser, you can unzip it and manually distribute its contents across any app you have.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

iExplorer seems to do the same thing, but doesn't require jailbreaking. How'd they do that?

16. cfs macrumors 6502a

Just downloaded it but can't figure put how to access iPads file structure. Any hints?

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I only saw two folders - media, and apps.

18. protobiont macrumors 6502a

It gets horrible reviews, what are the positives?

19. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

To me, this is the worst thing about iOS--my only genuine complaint about the OS in general. The lack of a real file system sucks and the idea of having to copy files between apps is an inelegant, confusing workaround that wastes a lot of disk space. It seems like a big pain in the ass that could be avoided with access to a part of the real file system.

This sort of Sandboxing is why I won't use the Mac App Store version of various programs (instead, I always just directly download them from the developer's site) and will likely not upgrade to Mac OS 10.8 (err, OS X Mountain Lion).

I haven't done a jailbreak on my iOS devices since back in the day, but I might when the JB for the iPad 3 hardware is perfected.

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

This made me spit out my juice. lol That would be one tool though.

The tool for the iPad would be to Jailbreak it and install iFile.

21. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The horrible reviews are most likely from non-hackers. People with no understanding of the iOS file system structure.

The positives is the ability to view your iPads file system and copy or delete files to and from it.

For example take a save file for a game from one iPad/iPhone and add it to another. iFile is a on board version of File Explorer and very powerful app.

22. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Wow the ratings look real bad.
    I think I'm gonna wait a little.

23. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

From what I see iExplorer doesn't seem to do much of anything.

Just look at it like this: If it is a necessity for you to have the ability to transfer any file on your device around to other apps, jailbreak and get iFile

If it is not, I would not recommend going through the jailbreaking process, it turns into a handful on some occasions.

Here you go, I got the link to the iFile description page,
    http://moreinfo.thebigboss.org/moreinfo/depiction.php?file=ifileData
    Sound like what you need?

24. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

There's an app called iExplorer, but ZBoater is talking about the (completely different) freeware application that runs on your Mac. At least I think he is.