Lack of apple logo glow on backlid of 12" rMBA -- dealbreaker?

So?

• Yes it would I live for the glow

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • No it wouldn't its insignificant

Votes: 97 73.5%
  • I has no ideas

Votes: 9 6.8%

• Total voters

copa

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
A bit more nuanced options would have been nice ;)

As it stands, "I live for the glow" but I do reckon that the majority won't really care.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
A it more nuanced options would have been nice ;)

As it stands, "I live for the glow" but I do reckon that the majority won't really care.

It's really just yes no or maybe. The rest is not to be taken seriously

nutjob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2010
Why not just get a fake MBA that doesn't actually work but has a glowing Apple? If it's important to one, then that fulfills one's main requirement: pretentiousness.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
Well, I'd cover it anyway. The actual is an "attention wh*re", and the black one would be a cheap-looking one. But if they do it black I hope it is for a good reason that "benefits" the user in some way (thinner display so thinner whole design, etc).

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It is just the screen backlight viewed from the other side. No extra power.

The glowing logo was a nice idea, but it has become a badge of pretentiousness. I won't miss it.
Laughs (at self). Good info, thanks. Assumed there was a dedicated LED lighting up the logo. :eek:

dmitrivich

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
It is just the screen backlight viewed from the other side. No extra power.

The glowing logo was a nice idea, but it has become a badge of pretentiousness. I won't miss it.
Not to mention if you're in a lighting situation where sun is shining against the back of the laptop, the apple logo is visible on the screen. Annoying.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68010
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Laughs (at self). Good info, thanks. Assumed there was a dedicated LED lighting up the logo. :eek:
It is a nice, simple idea. The iMac doesn't have a glowing logo because the computer guts are in the way. A shame really as I would like to see a return to the G4 style iMac with the computing components in a base and the screen on an adjustable arm. More elegant and much more ergonomic.

Ergonomics are also important on the rumoured rMBA. A full size keyboard is more important than a glowing logo, as is a suitable number of ports (happy with the rumours about USB 3.1 replacing a lot, but there needs to be at least 3 of them, hopefully more).

(got sidetracked, tried to bring it back on track, hope nobody noticed)

stillone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
Just think of all the duct tape that will be saved on those TV shows where they cover up that logo.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
Not bothered about the logo at all. If I was to consider a MacBook Air I would only be bothered about the weight, size, CPU, RAM, and display. The things that matter in an ultra-portable laptop.

ehfz

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
The light used for that apple logo is actually the same as the backlight for the screen, so the reality is that all apple screens have a very very slight lowering of their brightness in the shape of an apple right in the middle of their screens.This is of course imperceptible to the human eye, but to me it's an unnecessary embellishment on a laptop that otherwise values minimalism and functionality above all else. So to answer your question, it's far from a deal-breaker to me and I would actually prefer everything I own to be completely unbranded with no logos at all.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It would be said to see, but no worse then losing the happy mac at bootup. We all adjusted on that, so life goes on