Lack of iPhone 6c leaks means discontinuation of "C" series iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andres Cantu, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Andres Cantu, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

The iPhone 5c leaked in April:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/18/lower-cost-iphones-plastic-rear-shell-reportedly-surfaces/

It's almost August and there have been no leaks on the "C" series iPhones and even Ming Chi-Kuo has not said anything about a 4.7" iPhone 6c, apart from saying that there will be no new 4" iPhone this year.

What do you guys make of this? Do you believe there will be a "C" series iPhone, or will Apple keep the iPhone 6 in the line-up, much like they did with the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4? Perhaps they want to avoid plastic, as even if the iPhone 5c was not a failure, they haven't released any other plastic products since.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There were no leaks of the new iPod touch other than apple putting images into iTunes too early. If there is a 6C I'd imagine it would be using that same board with a cellular chip and touchID added, and possibly the same design as the 5C so it isn't unreasonable to assume that those things slipped under the radar much more easily than a completely new design like the 5C had.

That said no one knows except apple and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't release one. The only thing that makes me wonder is that the new iPod touch stayed at a 4" screen so they might be combining the R&D for the two as it seems like it would have been cheaper for them to just remove the cellular chips from the iPhone 6's logic board and use the same 4.7" screen size.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe, but its too early at this point. We'll find out when apple announces the next generation of iPhones this fall.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whether these are real or not is anyone's guess. But we haven't really seen many leaks of anything yet - there was the one iPhone 6S Plus and one iPhone 6S shell, and that's about it. I reckon this time next month we'll know almost exactly what Apple will/won't be releasing.

6. Zxxv macrumors 68040

iphone 6C made out of the same stuff as the apple watch sports strap. Bounces if you drop it.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That would be great if they are real, and if it really looks that close to the 5C I can see why there haven't been many leaks.

8. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I guess those pictures could be real, but I would think that Apple would offer the next "C" series iPhone in similar colors to the new iPod touch, not the same ones.

With the new iPod touch having an A8 chip, I suppose it's possible for Apple to keep the design of the iPhone 5c in an iPhone 6c but include: A8/M8 chips, the iPhone 5s's or 6's cameras, true-tone flash, Touch-ID, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and NFC for Apple Pay.

9. profets macrumors 68040

Including subsidies we currently have:

$299 iPhone 6 Plus (A8)
    $199 iPhone 6 (A8)
    $99 iPhone 5s (A7)
    $0 iPhone 5c (A6)

I'd take a guess that this fall we'll have:

$299 iPhone 6s Plus (A9)
    $199 iPhone 6s (A9)
    $99 iPhone 6c (A8) (possibly a 4.7" iPhone 6 in coloured plastic shells, similar to what happened to the iPhone 5 when the 5s was launched)
    $0 iPhone 5s/c (A7) (4" iPhone 5c body with the 5s internals)

This would bring the whole iOS device lineup to minimum A7/64bit SoC.

10. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That makes a lot of sense to me! I personally don't think that the iPhone 6 and 6+ will be kept in the line-up. If the iPhone 6c turns out to have a 4" screen, however, then I'm not sure if Apple would be nice enough to make that model the "free" model for two years in a row and just forget about the iPhone 5s, since it is made out of aluminum, after all.

11. seble macrumors 6502a

Are people really bothered by a new 6C though? Would the 5S not just equate to the 6C?

12. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I wouldn't mind an iPhone 6c, but the iPhone 5s wouldn't equate to it because it doesn't have an A8 chip nor Apple Pay.

13. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

When I read the opening post that was my exact same thought. I bet the 5C form factor still has it's fans, since not everybody wants a lager iPhone.

14. recoil80 macrumors 68000

It is time to add Apple Pay to the entire iPhone lineup so I guess we'll have either the 5S with Apple Pay support or a 6C with 4'' display, the internals of the 5S and Apple Pay.

15. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Isn't it interesting how this is probably the first time that nobody knows exactly what Apple will do to their iPhone lineup?

16. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Back in 2013 we knew about the 5C but almost everyone expected the 5 to stay in their lineup.
    This year we have less clues, I'm not sure whether they'll continue to sell 6 and 6+ or sell only the 3 new phones

17. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I wouldn't say almost everyone, as towards its release date, some were saying it would replace the iPhone 5.

But there is definitely more mystery this time around.

18. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

6C would have the added attraction of a lovely, lovely plastic casing.

19. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

Really wondering if they are going to drop the 6/Plus for the 6c similar to what they did with the iPhone 5.

20. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I believe the iPhone 6/6plus will stay in the  lineup for at east one more release cycle...

I don't believe an iPhone 6c is coming

21. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I doubt those are real. Why would the hole for the flash be way different from what's already on a 6 (6 is round and not that longer shape in the image for the 6c) Same goes for the speaker/mic at the bottom.

22. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I don't know if they're real or not, but the argument was that it would be a repackaged iPhone 5s. To me, the speaker grill is what doesn't make sense (since there is only one row currently). They could use the older pill-shaped flash if it's cheaper to produce.

23. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

But even the 5c flash hole is round in those images, no reason for it to be way different (since both 5c and 6/6+ use round) for the "supposed" 6c.

As for the speaker grill, I agree. Both 5c and 6/6+ use one row, why would the "leaked" have two rows for a 6c? To me it's totally fake.

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It's plausible that it's a repackaged 5s, with the elongated true-tone flash and double row of speaker grills. Unlikely, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it in September.

25. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

It would be interesting to see a 6C. The lower cost may get a few upgraders vs the reg expensive 6.