Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2582

hd4600_series.jpg

Bare in mind these are the desktop cards, but the mobility versions for laptop should now be on the horizon and shouldn't be too dissimilar. Looking veeeeery nice here, if the mobility versions of these babies are done by the time Apple refreshes the MBPs it looks like we have ourselves our new card, and DAMN it's gonna be fast.

Anyone wanna hazard a prediction as to the release of the ATI Mobility Radeon 4600 cards and/or specs?

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I actually hadn't seen this yet. Seems plausible an hd 4600 might make it in as it is a 'midrange' card.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Bare in mind these are the desktop cards, but the mobility versions for laptop should now be on the horizon and shouldn't be too dissimilar. Looking veeeeery nice here, if the mobility versions of these babies are done by the time Apple refreshes the MBPs it looks like we have ourselves our new card, and DAMN it's gonna be fast.
Speed like 3800 series! Amazing!

Anyone wanna hazard a prediction as to the release of the ATI Mobility Radeon 4600 cards and/or specs?
The upcoming October redesign is too early for HD 4*** GPUs. I'd expect 9*** or HD 3***.

But in Q1 2009 Intel will speedbump Montevina CPUs by 133 MHz and introduce a 2.0 GHz Q9000 quad-core for $348 (no word on TDP). Further speculation on my part leads to the possibility of special Apple revisions of the QX9300 (2.53 GHz, $1038) and Q9100 (2.27 GHz, $851) (and Q9000, if it's 45 W) that are 35 W instead of 45 W, in Q2-mid 2009.

So we could see a MacBook Pro revision at around that time with the possibility of quad-core AND HD 4600. That'll make it a powerhouse in time for Nehalem (Q4 2009 / Q1 2010).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Quad-core and a 4600 would be nice. If they get at least a slightly better card in the upcoming revision, though, that'll be nice.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
I don't see a reason to pick on the OP. Benchmarks and FINALIZED specifications just showed up in the past few days for the desktop version.

With respect, I don't see the value of posting in numerous threads and creating threads that all argue that "the mbp gpu sucks and it will be better and the mbp will be thicker and the mbp will be faster and the mbp is a rip off and the mbp will use this? howbout this? howbout this?"

After reading 6 or 7 multipage threads and 2 or 3 "NEW GRAPHICS CARD THAT I JUST FOUND!!!" threads, this is one dead horse that doesn't need to be kicked.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
With respect, I don't see the value of posting in numerous threads and creating threads that all argue that "the mbp gpu sucks and it will be better and the mbp will be thicker and the mbp will be faster and the mbp is a rip off and the mbp will use this? howbout this? howbout this?"

After reading 6 or 7 multipage threads and 2 or 3 "NEW GRAPHICS CARD THAT I JUST FOUND!!!" threads, this is one dead horse that doesn't need to be kicked.
I think you're basing it more on the user's interest in the subject more then anything else. I have a feeling you've missed out on my old quad core/mobile quad core threads.

I was going to start my own thread on the ATi HD46xx Series but I decided against it due to a lack of motivation to start a new thread.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
I think you're basing it more on the user's interest in the subject more then anything else. I have a feeling you've missed out on my old quad core/mobile quad core threads.

I was going to start my own thread on the ATi HD46xx Series but I decided against it due to a lack of motivation to start a new thread.

What you think isn't necessarily so. What old quad core/mobile quad core threads? The ones that MultiMedia started?

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
I'm a relatively new member, so maybe those are older (Didn't read, I'll take your word for it :p). However, all of your posts that I've seen have value by way of adding something to the discussion instead of refuting the same basic truths over and over and over.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
you have a knack for finding old information... That was so yesterday.

But seriously, exciting.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Still, if the new models are being shipped to shops already, then Apple will have had to have made some kind of deal to get these cards slightly early, or ready for launch, which breaks the law of Apple and graphics cards:

• If it requires any effort whatsoever it will not happen.

Coldwater

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
If the October 14th rumor holds true, you don't have a chance of seeing these. AMD showed these off on development boards, not in anything resembling a notebook. Perhaps if the refresh is held off on till Q1 2009, but I doubt anything would be ready in two weeks.

And since even the desktop version only has a 128-bit interface, there's not reason to have 1GB or even 512MB of RAM on the thing. It just can't utilize more then 256MB. It's like giving a guy who can work 3 computers three more. It won't make him twice as fast because he can only use three. Same with this card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.