Lag on new MBP straight out of the box... any ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deepfriedfunk, Sep 2, 2012.

1. deepfriedfunk macrumors newbie

Greetings all,

Really not sure how I have managed to make this my first post but anyways - how do people. I recently had my MBP stolen in a robbery, i managed to get in a good left hook but the fella was off like a shot (he grabbed my satchel off my shoulder after stopping to ask for a lighter).

Anyways - insurance replaced it for a 2.2GHz i7, 4gb ram (i think it's the generation before the one that is out now). Which i cant really complain about. But pretty much straight out of the box it has been lagging. My previous one, which was from the generation before this, was like greased lightning out of the box and had no problem handling a lot of software running. It only started to lag a bit about 18 months into owning.

Now I have been on a software/music/movie downloading/installing binge as soon as I got it to get it upto the point I need it - but this is no different to every mac I have owned in the past.

Ill give you an example - I am currently running iTunes and Firefox with 6 tabs open. At the moment closing programs will bring up the loading wheel. Scrolling fast through a webpage will lag. Typing very fast into a text field will lag and also the mixcloud mix I am listening to keeps pausing (it is 100% buffered.) Opening a new application will take far too long and pause the whole system sometimes.

Apart from mixcloud there is nothing using flash, all the other websites are just simple sites, mostly forums and google pages looking how to fix this.

Any ideas guys?! This isn't the pleasant experience getting an out of the box mac normally is!!

2. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

Happening on the rMBp to, all macs do this if you scroll fast (snow leopard didn't do this).
    Even mission control and launchpad is sluggish for me.