lagg and ui problems ipad air & any ipad ios 8.3 and older

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hamed8080, Feb 19, 2015.

1. hamed8080 macrumors newbie

im create 8 video and published on YouTube ipad user problem (lag and ui issue) . please share this video until for fixing by apple. i have three ipad with ios8.1.3 (ipad air -ipad mini retina- ipad 4) and all three ipads restore with dfu mod and don't use backup.
    http://youtu.be/9ft_gZKjHQw
    http://youtu.be/9MxQ2Q7ybH0
    http://youtu.be/mFnfn6PIk5o
    http://youtu.be/8DnkWeKJwiM
    http://youtu.be/j8gjLvWMmYU
    http://youtu.be/WHM8JSt8hio
    http://youtu.be/o1N_CeGce9k
    http://youtu.be/XeGs31JwE0U

sorry for my poor English #

2. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

These issues are all very annoying and I have thought about making videos on them myself, despite the fact that I've never done it. This needs to be brought to Apple's attention. If I do my videos I will record them in 60FPS on my iPhone 6 so people using chrome can get the whole laggy experience. :D

3. RebornProphet, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

RebornProphet Suspended

Did you set that iPad Air up that badly just to make it lag?

Everyone knows the issues with Safari using multiple tabs, you're simply adding to an existing problem.

Lag on Notification Center doesn't appear when I pull it down on my iPad Air and the keyboard definitely comes up far smoother in Spotlight than it does on iOS 8.1.3.

Regarding the photos, you need to wait for the animation to end when pinching out before you can tap another photo. That's not specific to iPad Air, that's the OS ... period.

Your swipe like a maniac after pinching to return home. Who uses their iPad like that? Who pinches to go home then swipes their screen that fast? You're looking for things that simply don't occur in real world use.

I agree iOS 8 needs work done to it, but what you're doing in some of those videos is absolute madness and if Apple focused on fixing those rather than the every day UI issues others have found, I'd be pissed.

One of the fixes I'd like to see is the stutter when the address highlights and slides left when you tap the address bar when in landscape mode on Safari (when currently on a website, not a new window).

I also don't have the lag when restarting and entering my passcode.

Did you set this iPad Air up as new on 8.3 b1 and then sync those apps via iTunes? Because if you updated to 8.3 b1 then resorted an 8.1.3 back up, that could well be causing issues. I'd also like to know how much free space is left on that iPad because it looks like you've jammed it to the gills.

4. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Only reason NC lagged was because of assistive touch being enabled. That's sad. It isn't even blurring anything! Just darkening a little part of the screen with a *transparent* overlay.

I pinch to return home and swipe like that both on purpose and on accident some times. Yes, I use my iPad that fast. Even if it's an accidental swipe, it's unpleasant to see. They should either fix it or disable homescreen swiping for those couple of seconds while the animation plays out.

I agree with you for the photos thing, the animation just needs to finish.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

The vast majority of people wouldn't even see any lag in any of that. Most of those who would even perceive it wouldn't be bothered by it. In many instances it's not even lag bug simply designed animation that lasts longer than one might want it to last--basically it's a design feature, one that not everyone might care for, but not an actual issue nevertheless.

I would hope that Apple first actually focuses time on addressing actual bugs that affect someone performing some actions or using some functionality or having real stability and real performance issues (not some sort of barely perceived fraction of a second "lag").

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I think you are taking the word use of "lag" too literally. It's more like "stuttering". It's not necessarily being slower, but it's being twitchy and not fluid. Are you saying that a UI that constantly stutters and isn't fluid is a "non issue"? Fluidity is very important, it adds to user experience, it looks nice, it screams quality. With iOS 8 on A7 iPads, the software doesn't always scream quality. That's more of what we are getting at. We are spending 500$ or more on a tablet that 1 year later performs like a 50$ android tablet in certain areas. Again, *certain areas*. Opening and closing apps and such is fine usually, it's just anything with rotating and or involving the keyboard tends to be slow, quirky, and stuttery.

Everyone that I have shown the bug involving going to Safari, tapping the URL bar in landscape whilst on a website, splitting the keyboard, then using Control Center have cringed, especially after saying that the tablet is 1 year old. Saying that these tremendous frame drops aren't "real issues" is simply ignorant. I could agree more with the "issues" pertaining to the photos gesture, and the pinch to homescreen gesture (those are closer to non-issues), but most all of the rest are real performance problems.

7. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Exactly. If I wanted choppy animation, I would have gotten a cheap tablet that runs a cheap version of android.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

The vast majority of typical iOS users would see it as a non-issue (with most of them not even noticing it at all or even caring about it even when presented with it). That's not to say that it's not there necessarily, at least for some people, or that it shouldn't be all nice and smooth. But there are bigger and/or more consequential issues that are present and have been present for some time that would be quite a bit above anything like this as far as priorities should go on what should be addressed and how soon it should be addressed.

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Ehh, I'm not too sure. I recall hearing friends saying "my iPhone 4S is so slowwww" even on the lusted over iOS 7.1.2. Not everybody can perceive frame drops, but it gets smoothed over into just a general slowness is what I'm guessing, people notice bad UI performance, I'm sure of it.

Now, I wouldn't disagree with the fact that there are other issues that need attention as well, but that doesn't mean UI performance gets abandoned. Things seem to have turned into a big mess since iOS 7, which just so happens to be Apple's big iOS redesign update. UI performance/bugs have been greatly problematic since 7.0 and have improved relatively little. What's the point of this brand new shiny UI if it performs like crap? Sure, other serious problems have cropped up as well but they are typically a little more hidden than these dramatic animations that get botched everytime they occur.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I agree about that being more of an issue in the oldest devices that support the latest iOS version. Not so much on more recent ones.

11. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Apple needs to be bombarded with stuttery UI complaints for them to notice. Till then there is no problem According to Apple.

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I agree that iOS 8 was pretty much a buggy mess when released but a lot of the problems you point out seem nitpicky. For instance, who really swipes between pages of apps before they even close the foreground app?

Lag after unlocking has been there since iOS 7. Well, at least it was on my iPhone 5, 5s and is still there on my 6 Plus. Issues like the Safari lag have been there since iOS 8 launched 5 months ago. I don't see the issue with showing the wrong preview in Safari. It looks like it displays a blank white page after it dumps the page from RAM, but that happens on all devices on both iOS 7 and 8. Once the carrousel came out in 7 on the iPhones it's done that. The slow photo action is you trying to jump between photos too quickly after performing the pinch action.

The only real bug I see is the video slider continuing to move after the video had been paused. Even then, this is beta that probably won't be released until April so I'm sure Apple will iron that out in that time frame.

13. hamed8080, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

hamed8080 thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys . This lag and stutter and ui problem maybe not important for some user , But for me is very important. Why??? Simply , I'm used ios 6 on ipad 4 and no lag and ui problem found on it but when update it to ios 7 it get lag and ... And I'm Forcedto change device to ipad Air . Now what I'm doing? Change device? No I can send this ui problem to apple to fix it but They do not want to fix it to push users to new ipad air 2 .
    For , animation must be end then select photo in photos app , you can see ios 6 and reply me what your experience!! On ios 6 you never see slow action.
    Thanks for watching my video and commenting here.

14. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I can agree that it is a little nitpicky, but allowing visual bugs to go through because "they'll never notice" is extremely sloppy and lazy.

Lag after unlocking has been there since iOS 7, yes. Slop that has existed for almost 2 years and hasn't been cleaned up. Safari lag has existed for 5 months, yes. More slop in public hands that has not been fixed. I wouldn't mind *so* much if it was there in the first releases of iOS 8, but we are coming on iOS 8.3 and 8.4 and it hasn't even been touched yet. And in Safari he wasn't refering to the pages being white, he was referring to the visual artifact as he was closing safari with the gesture. The left two thirds or so of the background was blurred as normal, but the right third was not. Why? More unnecessary and unacceptable sloppiness at this point in the release of iOS 8. Should have been fixed months ago. The slow photo action is more of a non-issue to me. To avoid lag and visual bugs in iOS, you typically have to wait for an animation to finish before performing another action. Normal behavior.

Let's hope that Apple fixes that playback bug sometime between now and April. Wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't though because they hardly pay much attention to iPad at all it seems (since iOS 7).

A 1 year old tablet under Apple should not be able to lag and stutter under many conditions. It should perform about the same as the newest model. I remember my iPod 5 (technically an iPhone 4S) on iOS 6 and it ran like a dream. I couldn't really spot much if any performance difference between that and my mother's iPhone 5. Even the iPad 2, 3, and mini 1 with roughly 1 year old specs ran iOS 6 incredibly. I was jealous of my friend's iPad 3 and it was even 1 year old!! Now, if you have a 1 year old tablet (iPad Air or mini 2, technically mini 3 as well) it runs like it's 2 or 3 years old in terms of UI performance in many places. Not acceptable. The iPhone 5S runs iOS 8 very very well but the iPad that essentially came out with the iPhone 5S does not. Not cool, Apple.

15. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I completely agree 100% that it is sloppy and most of the issues the OP brought up need to be fixed, however he/she has brought them up like they are new issues with 8.3 B1 when in fact these issues have existed since iOS 7. (They have gotten worse under 8 though I will say that). I just hope iOS 9 fixes most/all of these annoying UI glitches. One that I absolutely hate under 8 is, let's say your posting something on here right? If you type enough text to make the field scroll-able the cursor will "float" from its placement in the field when you scroll. Plus other glitches like where the cursor lands when you first select a text field. Never happened under 7, but it was there in the early betas of 8 and Apple never fixed it. The cursor in iOS 8 is just completely broken along with the 'drag to select' feature.

I really hope this public beta for iOS is true. I would sign my self up immediately. That way it's easier to report bugs then having to send one through apple.com/feedback (that probably never gets looked at because they are overloaded with them)

I would just like to point out that I have the Air 2 and all the problems listed (minus the problem with the Safari background and video scrubber) are happening under iOS 8.1.3. My iPhone has quite a few glitches as well, and it's a 6 Plus. I don't think Apple is doing this on purpose to try and get people to upgrade (after the Air 2 what would I upgrade too? I would just return it then which would hurt Apple). I honestly just think that Apple pulled too many engineers from iOS 8 and moved them to Yosemite to finish it (Yosemite is more stable because of it, which is good, but considering all the money they have they should have hired more people instead of shuffling their current ones around all the time). It's lazy that they have allowed a lot of bugs that not only screw up the UI to go almost 6 months unfixed, but a lot of bugs with the user experience to go unfixed for 6 months as well.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it: iOS 8 is to iPhone and iPad as Windows Vista was to PC users. Or: iOS 8 is to iPhone and iPad as OS X Lion was to Mac users.

16. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Yeah I can understand the thing where OP makes it out that these are new problems. They aren't. I'm just mad because they are old issues, I'm not 100% agreeing with OP saying "OH IOS 8 SUCKS IOS 7 WAS WAY BETTER" blah blah blah. That isn't the case. Many of these issues existed on iOS 7 and have carried over to iOS 8, either being the same or worse.

The issue with the Safari background is very picky on who gets the problem and who doesn't. It's still a decently widespread problem, but it just randomly affects some and not others for little reason. I have had the issue cropping up since 8.0, sometimes the bug isn't even there while other times it's a full third of the screen not being blurred or just a tiny sliver on the side isn't being blurred. Very strange.

Apple definitely needs to hire some new engineers, there's no way that they can continue like this. They definitely have the money to back new employees, but for whatever reason they are just being very hesitant.

I'm hoping and praying iOS 9 is a bug fixer as well. I have a terrible feeling that for some reason iPad owners may remain neglected. Hopefully it won't be the case though. They need to sort out this translucency and somehow make it more efficient because blurring a keyboard is a nightmare on iPad for some reason, I don't see why, but it just is. Issues are multiplied by two with a split keyboard - WHY? A split keyboard is blurring less than the full keyboard yet it's twice as laggy! So annoying.

17. newellj macrumors 601

I agree with that, and I think that when people start grandstanding and proclaiming how bad iOS 8 is compared to iOS 7 it is actually very counterproductive. The engineers at Apple know that there's little or no differences on most devices, and when they hear that iOS 7 was great they likely say to themselves "since we know that the current OS meets the same benchmarks on most hardware, it's all good, no need to improve our code" - which is not the message they should be getting.

The rumors about iOS 9 give some reason to hope that Apple isn't satisfied, either. Here's hoping.

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

A lot of them ended up being worse under 8. I don't know why but they are. To make it worse, I noticed a lot of these issues for the short time I had Beta 3 or 4 of 8 install on my iPad mini 2 and they carried over to the Public Release.

Considering Apple publicly released Siri as a "Beta" iOS 8 should have been called a "Beta" in Sept. It wasn't ready for prime time. IMO it still isn't. They focused on features instead of bug fixes. And the OP doesn't even seem to be comparing 8 to 7; he's comparing 8 to 6!

I hope they bring on more engineers for 9. iOS needs a lot of help right now. Probably also the reason they are going to do a Public Beta. They can't keep the OS in a walled garden for devs only and expect 80%+ of the bugs to be reported and squashed. Do most devs even have time to complain to Apple about a UI bug? Not really; they are too busy updating their own app for the new OS since Apple is adamant about releasing a major update to iOS every year.

I think the feeling of iPad owners being left behind is because in the past they have been. I hope Apple doesn't do that again. Remember the early versions of iOS 8 Beta were iPhone only. I don't think it was until Beta 3 or 4 that they actually released an iPad version. That should have tipped us off iOS 8 was never going to be ready in time.

Oh and I take back what I said about iOS 8 being like Windows Vista. It makes Vista look worse. Really iOS 8 is like Windows Longhorn pre-restart. Buggy, resource hog, space hog, bloated code added everywhere (on top of a already bloated base), etc, etc. iOS 8 reminds me a lot of Longhorn now that I think about it. Apple needs an Intel-like Tick-Tock cycle. Tick OSes (iOS 8) introduce new features; Tock fixes any and all bugs in the Tick OS (iOS 9) or space out OS releases. Instead of major numeral change every year where people expect groundbreaking new features, how about an incremental increase? This way, the larger upgrades (iOS 8, 9, 10) get an additional year in the lab and .5 releases (iOS 7.5, 8.5, 9.5) introduce support for new devices and fix bugs. Maybe with this cycle there won't be many bugs to fix period.

For those that may say that iOS 8 is fine and has no bugs and was ready for prime time, I would like to point your attention to 8.0.1. A fix for Health-app problems lead to 6 and 6 Plus users owning iPhones-minus-the-phone and non-fuctioning Touch ID. Unacceptable that they (a multi billion dollar company) even let this one out of the lab.

19. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

All of this iPad slop started with iOS 7. iPads didn't get iOS 7 until beta 2 where iPhones started right off at beta 1. This clearly showed the iPad would struggle for quite awhile if huge bug fixing and polishing didn't happen fast. iOS 7.0.x was bad on iPad. Really bad. Remember how the multitasking gesture for pinching to home screen looked so bad? I remember a ton of quirkiness. Like my home screen getting stuck mid animation (when closing an app with the gesture) and there wasn't anything I could do to fix it unless I hard reset. I could start Siri, flip pages, slide down for spotlight... Just couldn't open anything and such. The stuck icons would persist on every screen. If I locked the iPad, it completely got stuck. I would turn the screen back on and it would only show the wallpaper. Nothing else. No sliding to unlock, no Siri, no power off slider would appear... It was bad.

This existed until 7.1 in MARCH. Pinch to close animation was fixed, stuck springboard was fixed, springboard crashes were fixed... But it took 6 months. There was still a huge was to go, the App Store was a stuttery mess, rotating with the keyboard/spotlight was still stuttery, control center/Notification Center still stuttered on the lock screen... And then iOS 8 came along and threw logs on the fire that only just started to die down. A little.

A tick-tock I cycle would be amazing, but you know people would flip over how Apple goes too slow and is behind the times and never adds anything new... Then they leave iPhone/iPad because of their own idiocy. People like that royally drive me insane.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I completely forgot that iOS 7 Beta 1 didn't work on iPads. It must be something with pushing that much animation on a display of that size/resolution. I knew the iPad 3's suck on anything newer then iOS 6 because the graphics of the OS are putting more strain on an already taxed GPU. The pinch-to-close problem you are talking about with iOS 7 I never personally experienced. However, every other problem I do remember. I still believe that iOS 7 1 year ago was more stable then iOS 8 is now.

Yeah those people drive me nuts too. Instead of officially announcing something like that maybe they should just do it. The reason I say that is the engineers are probably very over worked and being able to only have to put out a major OS release would probably ease tensions and allow for a better customer experience. But considering most Apple users aren't like us and can't under stand the basics of an OS or a hardware product other then it "does things", yeah they would probably be pretty pissed that Apple is slowing down updates.

21. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Yeah the average consumer really is in the dark on how much work goes into iOS, how overworked the engineers are when they need to push out a major release every year, when they need to fix bugs for the current release while continue working on the next major release. I almost feel bad for the engineers at Apple trying to match their software releases with their hardware releases... It just isn't sustainable if they don't essentially do a mass-hire of engineers.

22. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Yes but that doesn't excuse the new iPad air 2 from having minor animation stutters here and there. The GPU in the Air 2 is at least as powerful as the PS3 in most areas. It's poor coding and optimization. That simple. All the blurring that goes on with the translucency would even tax a desktop computer to render. Blurs have always been taxing on a system. So while it works, it's still not fully done right.

23. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

iOS 8 is a mess on iPads, ESPECIALLY iPad Air/mini retina. I'd even say iPhone 3Gs running iOS 6 is smoother than iPad Air running iOS 8.1.3 which is shameful. :eek:

----------

Exactly. And what does Apple do with iOS 8? Add even more poorly optimized translucency and blurring effects :rolleyes:

Also agree on the iPad Air 2 part. If their most powerful iOS device ever (as powerful as PS3), which is 2x more powerful in GPU than even iPhone 6(Plus), has stutters/choppy animation issues, something needs to be changed.

24. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Honestly,while not perfect in iOS 7, there was a lot less stuttering even on an iPad Air. The Air 2 smoothness with iOS 8 is equal to iOS 7 on an iPad Air last year. Not much has changed with the blurring effect. What has changed is the coding behind it. I remember reading/hearing somewhere that iOS 8 caches animations now and UI elements have been split into different sub-structures or something. So what that makes me think is that if an animation hasn't been used in a awhile it has to "reload or redraw" it, causing stuttering. Notice pulling up control center from the bottom has the ever so slight delay if you move your finger too fast, wasn't so on iOS 7. Which is why its much better and almost always smooth on the Air 2. Whats the difference? 2GB of RAM, thats what.

I'm sure theres a good reason why they made the changes but its been poorly implemented. Sure it wasn't perfect in iOS 7 but on most devices it was pretty smooth. So right now the only two devices that run iOS 8 with any type of consistent smoothness is iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. The 6 Plus is a joke in regards to stuttering. It will go down as the iPad 3 of iPhones.

25. Imory macrumors 6502a

Even the iPhone 6 suffers from severe stuttering. Try auto-scrolling in a list of contacts, top charts, recents in the phone app containing 50 items or more and the phone will drop frames. Tap the auto-scroll from the bottom of the settings app and it will most likely drop frames. I'm thoroughly disappointed by how terrible iOS 8 has been in terms of smoothness. Not once have I seen Apple release an iOS in recent history where their primary device is suffering from frames dropping.

These devices have hardware-wise reached a level where they should be handling these things flawlessly. Really shows that any sloppy software can ruin state of the art hardware, and that is very evident with iOS 8.