LAIR! (isn't as bad as we were led to believe)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Feb 5, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Like most we have all had a go at factor5 and LAIR! and like most probably without even experiencing the game first hand...

In fact it made a lot of our 'most over-rated / disappointing lists too' in a previous thread.

But is it truly justifiably that bad ?

Well I bought a copy off ebay dirt cheap (in fact shipping was more expensive than the game LOL) and I was prepared for a terrible game, but one that cunningly I knew I could trade in local more than I paid on ebay ;)

But to my surprise.... it aint as bad I believed it would be.

Controls which have received the biggest criticism, well only two missions complete (excluding training) and it certainly isn't that bad. I've played much worse wii games with motion control.

The ground control is it's Achilles heal control wise, but thankfully your not on the ground that often, and it certainly is better than the last rouge squadron game.

Graphically the game is very sharp, looks very nice at 1080p and the frame rate is solid enough (strangely only slight stutter has been in a cutscene).

Whilst yes the game certainly should never win game of the year award, in fact its not a great game true, but it certainly isn't as 'dire' as we were led to believe. I certainly have had more fun in the brief hour with Lair so far, than I did in the 5 hours of Heavenly Sword.

It's definitely worth a rental and then maybe if you can get it cheap like I did ($12) a sound purchase for a few hours entertainment.

So yeah... Lair not quite the turkey!

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The cheapest game I've ever bought was Xena on the N64 for $7. I brought it home, beat it in about 15 minutes, then vomited all over the game. Glad to here your experience with Lair wasn't wretched.

I'm sure when I finally get myself to spend money on a PS3 and not a new iPod, I'll pick up this game, since it's on the cheap.

<]=)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only spent about 30 minutes on this at my cousins place but it wasn't too bad. Granted I've had no desire to go back and play more. I hear it's even better when played on a PSP via remote play.

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

:eek: Did that damage the cart? You have to be careful. Vomit has acid in it and could corrode the metal contacts on a game cartridge.

I bought Xena too. It was a simple fighting game but still very fun. I think I remember paying about $12 for it. But I actually got quite a bit of play out of it. It was quite fun.

Lair....I'll have to pick it up if I can get it for cheap.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm not that surprised. The most vocal people were those who bitched and whined about. But, after browsing some forums it was pretty clear that a lot of people didn't think it was half bad much like you MRU. How's the story? I heard it was pretty decent as well.

I know three people who have played it and all three say they would buy it if it were ~$25 or so. I wanna give it a go some time but my list of shame is already too large.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

People listen to "professionals" too much and they allow that opinion to cloud there way of thinking...so the game sucks because everyone says it sucks.

I've had my time with the game and although I thought it would be more(hype machine) it wasn't bad....average at best.

If I ever find the game at $20-$29....best believe it will be apart of my collection.

Bless

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

The story and presentation is very good in fairness.

Yeah, that's what I feel too. Its not great, by any-means, but it certainly ain't BAD either.

Definetly a decent budget purchase :)

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The Score is really good too imo :)

I liked LAIR, it gets tougher though MRU :p

Wow.. you actually like games MRU, here I always thought you just bought them to find flaws ;):p :D

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hush you! you cheeky bugger :p

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

You paid way too much. :D As did I! :eek: I didn't bother cleaning it up, it increased the value when I traded it in.

Fun?! :eek:

<]=)

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So theres a patch coming out that will add analog controls as an option....anyone will give it a second shot?

Bless

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Any update on the patch ? I'm 6 levels in but the controls are getting a little frustrating now and I find myself holding off playing in hopes that patch comes soon. :eek:

13. MarsUltor macrumors member

If that is true, i'd give the game another shot... I played the first couple levels, and could not get over how atrocious the "sux" axis controls were... the response and accuracy, for me, was terrible. If they do switch to an analog option, i would definitely reconsider... i wish they had that option to begin with. I am very glad I am a member of gamefly, so i never had to purchase the game (i would have been really pissed had i done that)... and now i can get it again, for no additional cost (not to sound too much like an advertiser, or anything)!! Keep us updated if that update ever happens

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well it's April and still no analogue patch. The official forum leads people to believe it should at least make release this month, but my word they certainly are dragging it out now aren't they.

I managed to combat the controls so far - but it certainly has led to frustration at times and sore wrists. I really want to get further into the game but have put it off until the new control patch is released so that I may truly enjoy it, rather than begrudgingly enjoying it..

15. muscleshark macrumors newbie

Jackaxe, you vomited on the game? hahaha sorry if I sound like I'm making light of your suffering , but really is that true? 15 minute completion time, then you vomited on it? :)

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think everyone expected greatness...it wasn't.

So off course people had to blow it out of proportion

(That said, I've never played the game...so who knows!)

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

18. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

available now at 246mb in size. Control patch is great and you still get to use six axis as well. Now to finally 'get into' this game.

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Cool, I guess it got released early. Lemme know how the rest of the game goes, since I might give it a rest.