Lame duck session in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kobalap, Dec 4, 2018.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yeah. They're trying to mimic what those in South Carolina did and failed succeed while on their way out. From The AP via HuffPo, who has a bit of an explanation as to what is going on (BTW: The same is happening in Michigan):

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...-governor-s-power_us_5c06b5c9e4b0cd916fb0b98a

Basically, the Reds are trying to cripple the incoming governor in a play of pure partisanship, then blame him for having nothing happen during his term in office, present that to the people, who then would vote the Reds back in. Then they lift those restrictions, and continue where they left off.

Good thing here is that this failed in the courts in South Carolina, and has a damn good shot at failing here should they try it here. Also, I want to say that Michigan is under the same Circuit Court, so if it fails in Wisconsin, should the same happen in Michigan and gets appealed, Michigan would fall under this as well.

BL.

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

We've been here, they've done that.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...epublican-power-grab-north-carolina-explained

3. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

It seems to me that on the whole Republicans tend to be not very democratically (small d) minded people.

4. jerwin macrumors 68020

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

When voter fraud claims didn't work, suppression not getting it done, elections not won, republicans seem to be going with if they can't win, they still want to win.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The attempt alone is obscene and should be illegal. One can only hope that if by some bizarro chance they get away with it, that the incoming administration will have good enough legal minds to get around it.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There would be some recourse. If NC's bills were struck down at the Appeals court level (they're in the 4th Circuit), and these upheld, this would go to SCOTUS. Unfortunately Michigan and Wisconsin are in different circuits (6th and 7th, respectively), so it wouldn't apply across the board there. But if NC's were struck down at the 4th, the 7th would have to look at the ruling there. If they still upheld it, then it would go to SCOTUS. The 10A could also come into play here as well, but it all depends...

BL.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

To go against the people who voted.... It's insanity.

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Something to bear in mind while you're thinking of this, republicans will NOT just stop there.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...080e4b0844cda4f9959?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004
    Seriously any mouth noises resembling that this isn't blatant, become just noise when you think of this...
    :mad:

11. samcraig macrumors P6

12. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

13. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems like a good way to keep democrats from implementing more of their non-sensical polices.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

An excellent admission that adherence to our supposed democratic philosophies is secondary to partisan victory. Now before we go down the tired road of 'all sides are bad' meh, which solves nothing but allows one to dodge criticism from any side & not commit to anything. It is important to note that until recently though it was always important to win an election to get your way, but if you didn't win, you sought to do better in the next cycle. Now though, decorum ( it's important to note which side of the political fence has decided to bear down on this ) has been thrown out the window, winning is no longer important if you can't. It's important now to hold power at all costs, cry your doing things to keep them fair if caught, and forget the concept of karma. Now that's been thrown out the window to be the bad sport, cross your arms and claim it's necessary. I suppose it's a good thing so we can stop with the facade about concern for voter fraud or integrity.

We will all to make sure we remember such admissions when the pendulum swings the other way. o_O

15. kobalap, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

Shrug.

Basically, the cards are stacked against liberals. Look at how the senate played out. 16 million more votes than republicans and yet the democrats lost seats.

Presidential elections - Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million and yet here he is.

Pray that RBG doesn't die or retire. Supreme court will be 6-3 for republicans. Next oldest justice? Stephen Breyer (80yrs old). Pray he goes another 6 years and that a democrat wins the next election after two terms for Trump. Otherwise, supreme court will be 7-2 for republicans. In a country that is by a large margin based on national elections, a left leaning country.

And then there is all the gerry mandering.

The number of uninsured children went up by like 10% this year - in an improving economy. No one cares. The best you guys could do was take a few seats in the house. Even union / blue collar workers are voting for republicans. People depending on social security and medicare are voting republican. The military votes republican.

Liberals / democrats should just move to another country. Your agenda is swirling down the toilet.

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

That's more of the refreshing honesty & blind partisanship that inspires change. It doesn't have to be the sudden change that one side will insist is needed or a cause is a failure. It's like when a group tells you that an investigation they don't care for is taking to long, but then in another moment for another case insist that time be taken to gather all the information before making hasty decisions.

When one group tells another that they shouldn't compete against them, it's rarely for their safety. It's usually the contrary.

As I've said, the karmic wheel always spins. Savor the warm feelings, I know the salt from the previous 8 year run still burns.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To borrow a quote from your side of the spectrum, let alone Donald Trump:

Your side lost. Get over it, and move on.

But one can't seem to let things be without being hypocritical, can they? So once again, they play the same old game of Trash The Place On Their Way Out. Only this time, they decide to add an additional rule of "complain about nothing getting done, and vote for me next election!" to try to weasel themselves back into power.

Additionally, I find it hilariously funny that Scott Walker, who is doing this in Wisconsin, is the same Scott Walker who urged the Democrat governor of Wisconsin in 2010 not to make any lame duck appointments while he was in office so the next legislature could handle it.

Hypocrite. Complete total hypocrisy on that side's end, and it truly shows.

BL.

18. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't live in Wisconsin.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    What's left over from the last 8 years except that lemon called Obamacare?

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Nice Deflection. I didn't say you had to live in Wisconsin, did I?

Another nice deflection. besides, you really don't want me to continue the story of my wife (yes, there has been even more). You really don't.

BL.

20. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing for me to get over. I am completely indifferent to politics in Wisconsin.

You're replying out of context. My reply was in answer to the comment that I am somehow still sore after 8 years of Obama. In the first place, I liked Obama. In the second place, the Republicans have all but obliterated Obamacare. So, I don't see what I have to be sore about regarding the previous administration's 8 years.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Liberals actually won more senate seats per vote than the republicans did.

22. JayMysterio, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Ah yes, the lemon that so many of the right suddenly discovered and pilloried their republican representation to the point those representatives fled from public eye. Only to cry in fear when some black lady in California told those same people & more to persist in calling out their failed representatives who failed in their duties to them.

Psst... He knows that. The idea is to minimize the efforts of others, to see if it gets a rise out of one. No one's fooled, the idea is to let him continue, the honesty is refreshing for once.

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This is really sad. To be fair, Walker has been an incredibly horrible governor and politician in general and I'm surprised Wisconsin wouldn't vote a better conservative into the governorship. Then again, David Clarke was sheriff in liberal Milwaukee and its a swing-state, so its a really strange place for me.

That said, I have hope this crap will be overturned. This is the political equivalent of someone telling their boss "you can't fire me, I quit." After they've been fired, of course...