Lana Wachowski receives the HRC Visibility Award

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 27, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm posting this here not because I think it's political, but maybe somewhat controversial. Lana is the only transgendered high profile person in film at the moment and the Wachowskis' studio is literally two blocks from my house. This is a subject we rarely deal with here in the PRSI.

I have known several transgendered folks, and life is tough for them. I run into Lana once in a while in cafes, and you can tell that she still is not completely comfortable in the world, but I think she's getting there.

I'm glad she survived her tribulations, because the world is certainly better because she is here.

Just watch the video. I know it's long, but it's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHHycz7T_c

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Okay, that's pretty damn nifty. I'm glad she's finally in a good place physically. I have several dear friends (and dated two of them) that are transwomen. I can't imagine the **** they have to deal with in life.

I hope Lana's life is full of happiness and joy.

3. leekohler, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I've had several friends who have gone through this. It's the toughest thing in the world. Whenever I think I have it tough as a gay man, I take inspiration from my transgendered friends. I have nothing to come close to that struggle.

That's why I get really angry with people who say we should not have Pride parades that celebrate the transgendered or drag queens. They say these people are freaks and hurt the cause. I say **** that. Everyone deserves equality.

I get really tired of some gay people saying, "But Lee, you're a jock and people can relate to that. We need to promote that and not worry about the drag queens and trannys."

**** that. We're here now because of people like Lana. People who had no choice but to stand up and be counted. They have more courage in their little finger than I do in my whole body. Lana is a better person than any "Christian" I ever grew up with. She is also far better than any conservative gay person I've ever met, especial those who told us to shut up back in the 80s.

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I honestly don't know if I know any Transgender people. Even if I did they probably don't feel comfortable enough to say it.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Keep looking. :)

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I was going to make a joke along the lines of "I don't think I want to keep looking" but then realized that would be tasteless.

So here's bottom of the barrel humour:
    [​IMG]

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I wouldn't say it's necessarily about comfort, more relevancy? While I can only speak for myself I've never felt uncomfortable talking about that stuff unless I've felt myself to be put in potential harms way by doing so. I used to be more keen on people not knowing when I was somewhat less secure in my identity but when you get way past the period of change and settle into who you are it's kind of a big boring non-issue.

I'm glad Lana got the award, trans people do seem to be more and more entering the mainstream and the more that happens the more we're accepted without shock or awe. It's difficult enough coming out and going through all that in your personal life I can't imagine what it was like for her.