Landscape Causing iPhone 5 WiFi to Drop?

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Hey everybody,

I noticed just now that if i place my finger across the top glass strip on the back of the iPhone 5 my Wifi signal will drop from 3 to 1 with unnerving regularity, similar to the iPhone 4 signal attenuation problem. Is it just my iPhone 5 or can others replicate the anomaly?

Edit: holding it in landscape mode in a natural position causes the bars to drop as well as a 11Mbps drop in download speed.

Last edited:

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Hey everybody,

I noticed just now that if i place my finger across the top glass strip on the back of the iPhone 5 my Wifi signal will drop from 3 to 1 with unnerving regularity, similar to the iPhone 4 signal attenuation problem. Is it just my iPhone 5 or can others replicate the anomaly?
Obviously you're holding it wrong there cannot be any other answer

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Obviously you're holding it wrong there cannot be any other answer
Thanks Steve:rolleyes:. Can you replicate the issue? Holding it normally doesnt cause a problem but placing my finger across the top almost seems to block the wifi from getting out? Does your iPhone 5 do this? If you even have one?

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Thanks Steve:rolleyes:. Can you replicate the issue? Holding it normally doesnt cause a problem but placing my finger across the top almost seems to block the wifi from getting out? Does your iPhone 5 do this? If you even have one?
Just tried it and got the same result except mine went from 3 to 2. As soon as I took the finger off the back it went back to 3.

I would contact every tech site with this piece of information. You might have discovered the new AntennaGate.

In the meantime I would hold it the correct way or get a nice case.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Just tried it and got the same result except mine went from 3 to 2. As soon as I took the finger off the back it went back to 3.

I would contact every tech site with this piece of information. You might have discovered the new AntennaGate.

In the meantime I would hold it the correct way or get a nice case.
Thanks, glad its not just me. The cellular signal does not fluctuate if i do the same to the bottom strip which is interesting..

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Apple puts glass on the back to allow signal access. You block that window, and the signal deteriorates? That's a surprise? I guess I would have thought this to be a somewhat obvious outcome.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Apple puts glass on the back to allow signal access. You block that window, and the signal deteriorates? That's a surprise? I guess I would have thought this to be a somewhat obvious outcome.
But if you read my post above yours, the cellular signal displays no such fluctuation if i put my finger over the bottom glass.

m0no

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
I haven't tested this but I would just suggest to not put your finger across it.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Hey everybody,

My ip5 doesn't do that. I took my case off and did as you noted. My wi-fi signal remained at a constant 3 bars for the minute that had my finger covering the upper portion.

I wouldn't give it too much more thought. Enjoy your new phone and keep your finger clear of that particular area.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
My ip5 doesn't do that. I took my case off and did as you noted. My wi-fi signal remained at a constant 3 bars for the minute that had my finger covering the upper portion.

I wouldn't give it too much more thought. Enjoy your new phone and keep your finger clear of that particular area.
Interesting. Thanks for the input. Its not a common way to hold the phone (at all lol) so if it bothers me too much I'll just see what an Apple Genius has to say. It is curious though.

Gage

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Maybe you gave it the wrong finger?:D

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
I have an even bigger scandal.

When you sit on your phone and squeeze your butt cheeks, then quickly grab your phone and look at it, your cellular signal will have dropped a full TWO BARS.

Somebody call CNN, 'cause this is breaking news.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
People! Leave your phone alone! Go do something useful. Can't stand these threads about "I'm holding my phone in a really strange way and it makes it lose reception.... Blah blah blah."

ninjaspymaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Noticing this as well now that you posted it. That being said, it's not a common way to hold the phone and I still get signal, so it's a non-issue (for me). Every antenna has a weak spot. In this case apple placed it in a good location.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I think it may be my device, because holding it in a natural landscape fashion with my fingers not on the glass but sort of cradled around it still drops my wifi, I'll just see what Apple has to say.

Edit: just ran a speed test, holding my phone portrait got me 14 Mbps and holding it naturally in landscape got me 3Mbps. Pretty significant if you ask me.

Last edited:

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Every iphone I have ever had has had a harder time on wifi in landscape than portrait. Ive usually only noticed it at the edge of recption (like when staying in a hotel). I now always turn my phone upright when I have trouble with wifi out of habit. I havent noticed the iphone 5 being any worse than my past phones with regard to orientation. Ive only noticed that the reception isn't quite what the old phones were, but isnt bad by any means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.