Lap ability of the iPad Pro keyboard? Benefit of connected over BT? What keyboard are you using?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by h00ligan, Mar 23, 2016.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'm guessing the iPad Pro keyboard does not work well in the lap based on the design but I'd like to hear from someone who has used it in multiple situations.

In considering the new pro maybe the larger one not sure - it seems third party keyboards may be superior with back lighting, weight, viewing angle and lap ability

Anyone using the zagg slim book option ? What are you using and why - I don't see much of a reason to limit to the new connector over Bluetooth with so many Bluetooth options available but I may be missing something.

So how's the OEM keyboard and or what are you using that's proved versatile?

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I have an iPad Pro with the official Apple Smart Keyboard. I pretty much ONLY use it in my lap in different environments. Trying to think back if I've ever used it on a table? Maybe once? Otherwise I'm on the couch with it on my lap. In a charge with the feet up and reclined with it in my lap. Lap ability is fine. One of the things that pushed me towards getting the Smart Keyboard in the first place was because I couldn't "lap" it with the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. It just didn't work right

3. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

The NO.1 benefit over BT, IMO, is instant connection and auto on/off

When using BT, your only option to input is your keyboard, or you will need to go to setting, disable BT (might disconnect your headphone as well), and then the on screen keyboard pops up
    Using a physical connection, iPad kinda 'knows' what position you are using, I.e, if you are in 'typing mode', it uses your attached keyboard. If you detach the keyboard, or put it in 'viewing mode' of Smart Keyboard, it automatically present you the on screen keyboard. No need to manually choose yourself

Some additional benefits are like no worrying on battery life, more stable, reliable connection, etc.

4. Scifivision macrumors newbie

I am curious about this. Do you have your knees up do you mean? I type just on a recliner with my feet stretched out but I know with the regular Smart Cover it would never stand up it would just flop over unless I used a table or something. I usually though put a pillow underneath it to lift it up high enough so I'm not killing my back. I have been used to using a Zagg folio or Slimbook most recently as it's rigid like an actual laptop. Things with soft hinges never seem to work.

Thanks

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I can have my feet up or down. It really depends on what type of chair your in and how upright you're sitting. But on my couch at home, the chairs at work and everywhere else I've been, I've been able to use it just like a laptop.

I remember when I tried this with my regular Smart Cover and it wouldn't work. I guess there wasn't enough surface area to hold ont. But with the keyboard cover you have the back part propped up as well as the surface area of the keyboard itself holding up the iPad

6. AliMacs macrumors 6502

I use the Apple BT keyboard with the IPP LTE. When the power save mode comes on the BT keyboard, you just hit any key it will reconnect automatically. But there is a delay of 1-2 seconds. I want an APK but it's too expensive at the moment.

I can buy a lot more for $169+tax. Keyboards I have plenty of and I use my IPP on the desk. On the sofa, it's just the onscreen keyboard.

7. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

I love the APK, probably the best feeling keyboard I've ever used (personal preference). I've had no problem typing on my lap at all, however it doesn't hold up when I'm being super lazy and laying down with my knees up. Legs have to be flat.