LAPD Kills Man on Ground

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Los Angeles police Commander Andrew Smith said the man was suspected of robbery. When officers tried to arrest him, he started fighting with them.

Smith said police tried to shock him with a Taser, but that didn't work. After the man reached for an officer's gun, three officers fired at him.
they tried the tazer. video is not clear enough to see the man touching the gun. can't see on video who started swinging either.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
This is becoming disturbingly common place now for US police forces, it's like they have a "Shoot to Kill" policy, for both the poor and people of colour.:(
You know that kid in Missouri? That was his fault. OTOH, the cop involved in the Staten Island incident should have been hung out to dry.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
This is becoming disturbingly common place now for US police forces, it's like they have a "Shoot to Kill" policy, for both the poor and people of colour.:(
Definitely seems to be a shoot to kill policy for people who try to grab officers guns.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
then don't try to grab a cops gun.

been to skid row a few times, pretty sad state of affairs.
For their own safety if nothing else a suspect shouldn't be able to grab a cops gun when they are on the ground.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
For their own safety if nothing else a suspect shouldn't be able to grab a cops gun when they are on the ground.
you would need to disarm the cops for that. here they tried the tazer BEFORE they shot him. mad had mental issues , as I would imagine many on Skid row do. scary being there during the day, really bad at night.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
then don't try to grab a cops gun.

been to skid row a few times, pretty sad state of affairs.
I'm a little suspicious about this.

How often do police officers claim that a suspect went for their gun?

I'm guessing that a significant number of shootings have this as their basis.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
did you watch the videos? it is hard to say IF the suspect went for the gun.
I did and I agree, it's hard to say.

However, I've noticed multiple cases in which a police officer shot a suspect precisely because of this reasoning and maybe it's coincidence, but it's still weird.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
they (officers) ALL need body cameras on them.
From the LA Times:

...[Cmdr. Andrew Smith] said investigators were looking for any other video that captured the incident, including footage from the body cameras some of the officers may have been wearing. Officers assigned to the Safer Cities Initiative were part of the LAPD's pilot program for the new technology and are equipped with the devices.

At least one officer involved in the incident was wearing a body camera, Smith said.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
you would need to disarm the cops for that. here they tried the tazer BEFORE they shot him. mad had mental issues , as I would imagine many on Skid row do. scary being there during the day, really bad at night.
I think it would be nigh on impossible for someone on the ground to grab a cops gun if it's in the holster.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
The police demonstrate once again that they don't have a clue how to deal with mentally ill people, despite the fact that the mentally ill are a major part of daily interactions with the police and, even with some diversion programs, are a major part of jail populations both in L.A. and around the country.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-26/screaming-inmates-make-l-a-rethink-jailing-mentally-ill
will obamacare take care of the mentally ill?

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
If he indeed went for the officers gun then the police had the right to shoot him (it seems like this is very possible based off the audio). Fair game. Every single person on knows if you go for the cops gun, you're likely going to get shot.

In this case, unlike a couple others, I think it seems pretty straightforward. I find it very hard to believe this notion that cops just kill people because the person they're arresting is black and they get the opportunity.

The police demonstrate once again that they don't have a clue how to deal with mentally ill people, despite the fact that the mentally ill are a major part of daily interactions with the police and, even with some diversion programs, are a major part of jail populations both in L.A. and around the country.
As someone who works in psychiatric medicine, I would wholeheartedly agree with this.

My thought is the cop holding the gun shouldn't have been within distance of the criminal to grab the gun. In that way, the man would have never been able to get the gun in his hands. I'm not a cop, I don't pretend to know how be a cop or to fight, so I don't know if that's a practicality in the real world.

I think it's unfair to jump the judgement before all the evidence comes out.

Last edited:

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
If he indeed went for the officers gun then the police had the right to shoot him (it seems like this is very possible based off the audio). Fair game. Every single person on knows if you go for the cops gun, you're likely going to get shot.

In this case, unlike a couple others, I think it seems pretty straightforward. I find it very hard to believe this notion that cops just kill people because the person they're arresting is black and they get the opportunity.

As someone who works in psychiatric medicine, I would wholeheartedly agree with this.

My thought is the cop holding the gun shouldn't have been within distance of the criminal to grab the gun. In that way, the man would have never been able to get the gun in his hands. I'm not a cop, I don't pretend to know how be a cop or to fight, so I don't know if that's a practicality in the real world.

I find it hard to believe that some people feel that the mere attempt to grab a cop's gun justifies the cop killing that person. Not whether or not the cop's life was in immediate danger or did the person successfully take the gun but the fact that they had the audacity to reach for their gun.

I agree that attempting to reach for a cop's gun is wrong but shooting the person even though the cop's life wasn't in any danger was also wrong.

Last edited:

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Actually, not every single person knows that. Mentally ill homeless people demonstrate every day that they don't understand the rules.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but, my opinion is that the policeman made an error of judgement in bringing a gun within reach of a known mentally ill person. However, it is also my opinion that the policeman must have been inadequately trained to begin with, and, that is the fault of the department.

In any case, shooting someone is not a right. If the person tried to grab the gun, it could be a legal defense. It is never a right. There is a huge difference.

In this case, it seems clear that they shot him because they got caught in a situation that they created that they did not know how to handle. This is why we must train the police in how to deal with mentally ill people.

Cities that have trained every policeman with the basics, and, have created special units to deal with the mentally ill, have a much better success rate in dealing with situations like this.

http://kaiserhealthnews.org/news/san-antonio-police-treat-mental-health/

I'm not judging the policeman who probably did his best with how he was trained. I am judging the police department, though. It is clear that they don't handle situations like this well.