LAPD Kills Man on Ground

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Mar 2, 2015.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Was it justified? You decide.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/us/los-angeles-police-shooting/index.html

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they tried the tazer. video is not clear enough to see the man touching the gun. can't see on video who started swinging either.

4. kds1 Suspended

kds1

You know that kid in Missouri? That was his fault. OTOH, the cop involved in the Staten Island incident should have been hung out to dry.

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Definitely seems to be a shoot to kill policy for people who try to grab officers guns.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

then don't try to grab a cops gun.

been to skid row a few times, pretty sad state of affairs.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

For their own safety if nothing else a suspect shouldn't be able to grab a cops gun when they are on the ground.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you would need to disarm the cops for that. here they tried the tazer BEFORE they shot him. mad had mental issues , as I would imagine many on Skid row do. scary being there during the day, really bad at night.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm a little suspicious about this.

How often do police officers claim that a suspect went for their gun?

I'm guessing that a significant number of shootings have this as their basis.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

did you watch the videos? it is hard to say IF the suspect went for the gun.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I did and I agree, it's hard to say.

However, I've noticed multiple cases in which a police officer shot a suspect precisely because of this reasoning and maybe it's coincidence, but it's still weird.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they (officers) ALL need body cameras on them.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

From the LA Times:

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think it would be nigh on impossible for someone on the ground to grab a cops gun if it's in the holster.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When there is a death like this p, there seems to be a tendency to protect one of ours before the victim.

16. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Agreed. :eek:

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

will obamacare take care of the mentally ill?

19. dec. Suspended

dec.

I'm not sure if any functional social health system (like we have in Canada, Germany and many other countries) could take care of you guys.. :)

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

21. A.Goldberg, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

If he indeed went for the officers gun then the police had the right to shoot him (it seems like this is very possible based off the audio). Fair game. Every single person on knows if you go for the cops gun, you're likely going to get shot.

In this case, unlike a couple others, I think it seems pretty straightforward. I find it very hard to believe this notion that cops just kill people because the person they're arresting is black and they get the opportunity.

As someone who works in psychiatric medicine, I would wholeheartedly agree with this.

My thought is the cop holding the gun shouldn't have been within distance of the criminal to grab the gun. In that way, the man would have never been able to get the gun in his hands. I'm not a cop, I don't pretend to know how be a cop or to fight, so I don't know if that's a practicality in the real world.

I think it's unfair to jump the judgement before all the evidence comes out.

22. chabig macrumors 68040

No. I think Congress exempted themselves.

23. sodapop1, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I find it hard to believe that some people feel that the mere attempt to grab a cop's gun justifies the cop killing that person. Not whether or not the cop's life was in immediate danger or did the person successfully take the gun but the fact that they had the audacity to reach for their gun.

I agree that attempting to reach for a cop's gun is wrong but shooting the person even though the cop's life wasn't in any danger was also wrong.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Actually, not every single person knows that. Mentally ill homeless people demonstrate every day that they don't understand the rules.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but, my opinion is that the policeman made an error of judgement in bringing a gun within reach of a known mentally ill person. However, it is also my opinion that the policeman must have been inadequately trained to begin with, and, that is the fault of the department.

In any case, shooting someone is not a right. If the person tried to grab the gun, it could be a legal defense. It is never a right. There is a huge difference.

In this case, it seems clear that they shot him because they got caught in a situation that they created that they did not know how to handle. This is why we must train the police in how to deal with mentally ill people.

Cities that have trained every policeman with the basics, and, have created special units to deal with the mentally ill, have a much better success rate in dealing with situations like this.

http://kaiserhealthnews.org/news/san-antonio-police-treat-mental-health/

I'm not judging the policeman who probably did his best with how he was trained. I am judging the police department, though. It is clear that they don't handle situations like this well.