Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
So my laptop died on me so i have no way of accessing my backup data for my iphone.

Would it be possible for me to backup my music, photos and notes to new laptop without losing everything?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
This doesn't answer your question, but depending on what failed in your laptop the hard drive can be removed and read to retrieve your files.

With that said, my understanding is (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you can perform a backup of an iPhone to iTunes where it isn't already paired.

Is everything already on your phone and you're on iOS5? If so you can back up to the cloud and then restore.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Like said above, was it HDD failure? If not, you can just take the HDD out and put it in an external usb case (their cheap, think less than $10 last time I did that). And hook it right up, then you can have the HDD as a spare portable drive.

But there are some ways to back up iPhone stuff, not sure if you have a Mac or PC, but I use Image Capture on my Mac to pull photos/vids off the phone as a backup, and then you have iSync for calender/contacts/address etc. Just fig' out what you want backed up, then search around and you'll find programs to do so on Mac or PC.

Now your normal app's etc downloaded will be fine, even if erased obviously the App Store will have copy of whatever you've downloaded for iTunes to use.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
Thanks guys. The laptop is finished. I sold it CL for parts.

I have all my photos and apps on my phone (im actually typing from it).

So theres no way to get the apps,photos from this phone onto the new laptop?

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

?? I answered your question above lol. But you didn't mention if you have a PC or Mac? For example on my Mac I use Image Capture to take the photos/vids from the phone and backup to the computer.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

Apps and photos can still be backed up. If you right click on the phone in iTunes you can choose the options "Backup" and "Transfer Purchases." You want to do both of those choices. That will back up any purchased iTunes content, and the backup includes all your pictures and contacts. You will be asked to add your new computer to your iTunes account.
If you want to sync again then it'll give you a warning that it is going to delete some of your content, such as all your apps, before it can sync. That shouldn't impact your camera roll pictures. As mentioned above, you can backup and save your content without syncing.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Surfer man- sorry bro. Thank you all for the help!!
What Dave mentioned should work as well, before sync' with new Itunes, it should show your phone, then I just tap the track pad (two finger) on the iphone and it will let you back up the phone. Then when you sync' with iTunes, if it removes stuff from the phone, your apps etc will be backed up through the saved copy you did before.

I still used Image Capture for photo's and vids though no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.