Laptop Monitor becomes dark and light...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laurencia7, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Laurencia7, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

So far that I have had my new macbook (2009) it has been really dark as a monitor. Things are crisp, and there is more contrast,

but it makes my images and such mucher darker than other monitors, like at work and etc. Now I know all are diff, but now the monitor on my unit is making things much lighter. It depends on what day I open it, or if I shut it down or not. Now it is not the brightness button, but things now have less contrast.

It makes things confusing because I work in photography, and web design and things should be a true color. The only thing I could think of what it was, was a loose connector on my monitor. Anyone have the same issue with this white, 13'' macbook 2009 model?

Please let me know any thoughts.

L

below, 1 should be lighter, and 2 should be darker..now for me since I restarted they both look the same.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      551.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      194.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It doesn't sound like this is your issue, but you should confirm that it's not the automatic brightness adjustment; under the Displays pref pane, there's a checkbox for "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes." Make sure that's off, as the screen will subtly brighten and dim on its own otherwise, which could explain something like what you're describing.

However, it sounds more likely you're seeing a change in the color profile. Both of the images you posted look identical, and both have the same profile, so I'm not sure how that would be the case.

Have you calibrated the screen? Preferences -> Displays -> Color tab -> Calibrate button, and make sure to check the "advanced" box at the beginning of the calibration process.

Assuming that you have calibrated it, the next time it looks different to you, go to that Color tab and confirm that the profile selected is your calibrated one; if it is, try selecting a different profile and then reselecting the calibrated one, and see if that returns it to normal. If it does, then the calibration is somehow getting mis-selected on wake (I believe the MacOS checks the screen and applies the selected calibration on every wake)--maybe a preferences glitch. If not, then the problem must lie elsewhere.

Also, do you ever use the computer hooked to an external monitor?

3. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help, I was sick, and could not answer fast.
    I do not seem to have this ambient light option. I did calibrate it once, and it does not seem to help it. The images do look the same now, because my monitor is back to being darker. But when it is lighter they look very different. It is the oddest thing. I cannot figure out why sometimes it happens and sometimes not. I guess I will just have to deal with it.