Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Okay so I have decided to keep the powerbook and get a laptop stand for when it is sitting on my desk all of the time. does anyone have any suggestions. I use my powerbook with an external monitor to utilize the dual displays. The only I have really looked at has been the icurve by griffen and I think it is a wee bit to tall for my tastes, does anyone have any if, ands, buts, or gripes?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I love my CoolPad as well - made by RoadTools - aslo sold as Targus brand. I use the rotate often during presentations - it's a solid rotate - wont swivel unles syou want it to. I also like it because it's portable - I take the pegs off (sometimes) and put it in my backpack. Much more portable than the iCurve. if you're staying put get the iCurve, an external keyboard and mouse - instant desktop! Otherwise, get a CoolPad.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
ToddW said:
Okay so I have decided to keep the powerbook and get a laptop stand for when it is sitting on my desk all of the time. does anyone have any suggestions. I use my powerbook with an external monitor to utilize the dual displays. The only I have really looked at has been the icurve by griffen and I think it is a wee bit to tall for my tastes, does anyone have any if, ands, buts, or gripes?

I just bought the iCurve yesterday as a bit of a impulse buy, I was fed up of having my powerbook on a book it just wasn't very useable at that height. I really wasn't expecting the iCurve to be as good as it is. The angle at which the laptop leans is great and the screen is much more useable. Plus you can use the space underneath it which I see as a big bonus, especially when I have such limited space in my student house. I have a 12" PB and a 20" ACD however so maybe if you had a 17" PB and small monitor it may look a bit wrong.

I'll attach a picture (very quickly taken so not the best picture ever :rolleyes:) so you can actually see it in action, as I couldn't find any real life shots before I purchased.

Attachments

• icurve.jpg
    icurve.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 140

fingers

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
London
The iLap laptop stand by Raindesign is very cool for powerbooks.

It's made of polished aluminum - so it looks great with an alu or tibook. It dissipates heat nicely - stops my fan coming on. It also has a detachable front cushion - so you can use it on your lap without burning your genitalia. ;) For me it works great either at my desk or on the sofa - so I am very pleased with it.

BTW: I wish i had got a laptop stand when I first got my old TiBook - it would have saved a lot of peeling paint, and the combination of a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with a suitably equipped iBook or PowerBook is fantastic.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
i want to get the iLap, but since shipping to europe almost costs as much as the stand, i'll buy it the next time i'm in the states.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
The only thing I don't like about the iLap is that (when used on the lap) you cannot access the SuperDrive - not a big deal for some - it was for me.

Toeknee

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Im also looking to buy a laptop stand and ive got my eye set on the macmice iBreeze. (http://macmice.com/ibreeze.html) Its got 2 usb powered fans to keep the 'book cool. Granted if you live outside the states shipping is gonna cost an arm and a leg probably. I'm thinking of getting this one for when i'm playing games and the underside of my 15" gets toasty.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Just bend a wire coat hanger into a stand. Bend the hook down and bend the shoulder parts into a oval missing a big chunk in the middle. I used it for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.