Laptop that will run swtor (yes there are a lot of these)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by clonefoursix, Jan 5, 2012.

1. clonefoursix macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

sorry if this is in the wrong forum im new here XD
    and i was wondering a bout a laptop that will run swtor at max/high settings at a nice fps in pvp warzones, flashpoints, and the whole deal (alderran is an exception because of all the trees cause that will lower ur framerate) and so far my budget is around $1,300 to $1,400 and so far i was looking at the alienware M14X
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M14x/pd.aspx
    Ive been looking at sager, and idk what sager i should get, I have found one with pretty good specs that I customized a little (upgraded video card) here's a link. And I the video card isn't updated just click on the 2nd one.
    http://www.xoticpc.com/force-1761-msi-1761-p-3152.html?wconfigure=yes
    So any help is appreciated, not gonna go with a Mac though srry, they're just too much money.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Anandtech keeps some great laptop reviews around. It's worth taking a look there.

3. donuttakedonuts, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Alienware is like the mac of the gaming world - you get a nice looking computer, but you aren't paying for performance alone. At that price range, I would recommend an Asus G74 or the best 17" sager you can afford - gaming at 1920x1080 on a 15.6" screen simply won't be very fun

Of course, at that price, you could buy an okay netbook, and a gaming desktop that will simply destroy any laptop you could buy.

4. Json81 macrumors member

You'll need and i7 qm and 580m at least for nice fps at high settings in 1920x1080 for high fps in warzones.

I have a MSI with i5 and geforce 560m, I run the game at high, 1920x1080 which is fine most of the time for questing etc.
    But at fleet and in warzones it drops too much.

560/570 and dualcore just isn't enough power unless you use lower graphics settings.
    Possibly if you find a laptop with lower resolution, i.e. 1366x768 with those specs.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The last time I checked prices, the MacBookPro seem pretty competitively priced to it's PC Breathern.

6. jmdMac macrumors regular

I have been looking around a for laptop for gaming (mainly SWTOR) for the past couple weeks.

My search has led me to these:
    Sager NP8170: 2gb GTX 580 w/12gb RAM (not Vram)---------------~$1800

Force/MSI 1761: 2gb GTX 580 w/8gb RAM (not Vram)--------------------~$1715

MSI GT780DX-406: 1.5gb GTX 570 w/12gb RAM (not Vram)----------------~$1625

All of these prices come from xoticpc.com, they seemed to have the best deals going.

Still undecided between them. I have heard nothing but great things about Sager build quality and customer service so I am leaning that way.

Good luck.

***Sorry didn't look at your budget till now. If you can spare an extra couple hundred I think you would really appreciate it a year or two down the road.

7. NateEssex macrumors 6502

Alienware M11x

How about a loaded Alienware M11x with an i7?

8. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Sager is a very underrated vendor as not many people talk about them as the world is flooded with various Dell and HP laptops. If I were to buy a PC (Windows based) notebook, I would choose the Sager or a Lenovo.

Since I already bought my MBP though, I'm still happy with it despite it being quite obsolete compared to today's models. Even the integrated 320m on some games still reaches 60fps when using my 27" ACD.

Back to the PC side of things, I just don't like Alienware or other notebook models that try and "ape" the MBP features but go insane with them. I don't need my keyboard flickering in all colors of the rainbow in pace with my music. It just looks tacky along with illuminated speaker grilles.

The Sager model posted above with 12GB of memory sounds like a worthy investment that may last you a while. In the notebook world, buy the most you can as you can't swap out parts easily like a desktop rig.

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

11" screen is very small to play on in my opinion.
    It also has a 540m, which is too slow for decent performance in war zones.

Until BioWare fixes the problems in war zones only desktops or ultra fast laptops will play war zones at decent FPS.
    In some zones my GTX285 dips down below 25 FPS.
    Two of my friends have 5870 and GTX560TI, and they both experience FPS drops below 30 in war zones from time to time.

In the beta however war zones ran perfectly fine, so I do believe they would be able to fix it, since the game runs amazing at max settings with forced AA everywhere else.