Laquan McDonald

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Nov 25, 2015.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd like to know why it took over a year to bring charges against the officer.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Or why it took a judge to get the police to release the video.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, that is another very good question.

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

FIFY

7. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I don't see how someone running with a knife (even if doing so crazily), whit no one around to attack, deserves 16 shots. Including one headshot.

After telling him to drop the knife several times and not doing it, I would agree at some point shooting him in a leg would be ok (Don't police have tasers?). But that policemen find it so easy to shoot to kill in the USA is really worrying.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not only that, it took THREE judges, the first two denied the requests to release it.

On top of that, the other officers that were there never said a word.

On top of that the Attorney General clearly had access to the tape and only brought charges once the third judge forced the release of the tape.

Chicago has black sites (homini (SP?) square), a corrupt judicial system, a corrupt mayor (whom clearly had access to the to the tapes as he oversees the AG). The entire governance of Chicago in every sphere of public policing is clearly corrupt.

When is enough going to be enough for Americans?

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this stinks worse than 3 week old fish.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The Mayor does not oversee Cook County State's Attorney, Anita Alvarez. Rahm, Anita Alvarez, and Garry "McStreetlights McCarthy didn't want the video to be seen.
    Not just policing.

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I agree on the 16 shot part. Haven't seen all the details around this but IIRC he was shot after he fell including in the back.

In terms of how one is shot however, there is no shooting to wound. That's a big no no in just about every situation or training. We're only seeing part of the story/video but in the end, a man running with a knife like that, especially wielding it as he was in one hand, needs taken down. Two shots in center mass and let him fall, disarm him, cuff him and call the squad.

I understand your question about the taser but honestly it's not reliable or effective enough. Especially against a guy who might be on drugs. May sound good but when you're the one putting your life on the line to stop the bad guy your main priority is to make it home to your family. The bad guy put themselves in the situation not you so don't lose sleep over it.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'll agree that there is no such thing as shooting to wound. Even if you were a prodigy with a gun, able to circumcise a fly with a bullet from 500 feet away at a moments notice, if you shoot someone, there's a better than good chance they'll die from it. Even when shot in a place you wouldn't assume to be fatal, it still carries a very high risk of killing your target.

But shooting a 17 year old kid 16 times as he's walking away from you, not posing an immediate threat to anyone, is practically the textbook example of excessive force.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I would suggest you do the research as you'll likely find the opposite. You'll be surprised that it's not as high of a kill ratio as you would think. Shot placement is everything.

age means nothing so I wouldn't even consider it. 16 rounds, etc. yeah, a bit much. You shoot to nuetralize. Once he dropped, the thread was over.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They followed him for blocks.

The cop that shot him showed up, it was over in 30 seconds, 24 of which the officer sat in his car. That's 16 shots in 6 seconds. The cop that just showed up started shooting immediately....none of the other officers felt threatened enough that they had do it, why did this guy? Why did he do it so quickly?

I await your gymnastic level rationalization.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

But there's a tase to wound, pepper spray to wound, and yes, police even fire warning shots every now and then.

And since he wasn't around population, they could of waited for K-9 or rubber bullets

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Frankly, with somebody with a knife, and the fact that no one else was around....why aren't rubber bullets an option when it's not an immediate life threatening situation?

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

^^^Altering other member's posts is a banning offense.^^^

Why did Obama's former Chief of Staff, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel, sit on this video for over a year? Don't try to tell me the Mayor wasn't part of the cover-up. It took an FOI request to get this released. Oh, that's right: Rahm was in a close election when this shooting occurred.

18. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Yes, there were several shots after he was already in the ground, and not moving at all. At least how it is seen from the video.

I agree it is not an easy situation. But in this specific case, there were many policemen (around 4-5 cars?). They could easily overpower him with tasers, shock guns, etc.

Maybe they didn't had them, and that would be the responsibility of the police department, but police should also be armed with weapons that are not meant to kill, for these kind of situations.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

No, they don't.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You're right, it doesn't matter if he's 16 or 62. It's still excessive.

No one, not even the police, are allowed to fire a weapon without due cause. Since he wasn't threatening anyone, and like NT said, had been followed for blocks, there was no reason to use lethal force.

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Yep. Had the reporter not sued after his FOIA requests being denied, the video would have stayed in the dark.

Anita Alvarez is up for re-election next year.

22. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Laquan was murdered by an ******* cop, but it still gives NO excuse for violent riots by blacks in Chi-raq.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're really trying to play this game?

24. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

LOL on your warning shot comment.

25. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

kinda like I enjoy waiting for your armchair responses.