Large Photo - Now all of my apps crash!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JRomero, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JRomero macrumors regular

JRomero

Here is my story:

Last night, I was using the Twinkle app to talk to some people. Earlier that day, I emailed myself a rather large photo to use as my profile picture on Twinkle. Upon selecting the photo, my iPhone froze for a minute or two, and then it completely rebooted itself. I'm guessing it was because the photo was enormous and was exponentially bigger than what the iPhone is used to. When it finally came back, none of the apps that I have downloaded off of the App Store work. They just crash as soon as I open them.

I've tried synching my iPhone to my computer a few times, rebooting my phone, and deleting the apps and reinstalling them, but to no avail.

Is restoring my phone the only option here? And if so, should I perform a backup first? Will the restore save all of my text messages and whatnot?

Thank you all very much for your help.

-Jason

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It sounds like restoring would be your best bet.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

4. JRomero thread starter macrumors regular

JRomero

I sure did. I learned the hard way that it is best to synch photos like that up to your iPhone so they are reformatted to an appropriate size that the iPhone can handle.

I am currently performing a restore at the moment. I will let you all know how it turns out for me.

Thank you for your help.

-Jason

5. Applepwns macrumors member

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

7. JRomero thread starter macrumors regular

JRomero

I performed a restore from backup, and now everything works ship-shape.

A couple of notes about the restore process:
    • When restoring my iPhone from a backup, it got stuck at 90% for quite some time. It eventually finished and my iPhone rebooted.
    • After the restore, my apps wouldn't work until I resynched everything on my phone.

Thank you everyone for your input. It is much appreciated.

:D :D :D

8. JRomero thread starter macrumors regular

JRomero

Well, here we are again with the same problem.

This time, my phone would not wake up from sleep, so I had to reboot it. Upon rebooting, none of my third-party apps will open. They just crash back to the home screen.

I am in the process of doing another backup/restore right now.

Kinda frustrating...

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

How big (size and resolution) was the photo? I downloaded a 2560x1600 wallpaper and saved it.

It appeared in my photo roll after about 5 mins and when you tried to open it all it would do is load a thumbnail, the screen would 'stutter' and the photo app just crashes. The rest of my phone works fine. I haven't deleted it yet.

10. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Could be that the iPhone itself is faulty in some way. If it keeps happening, you should take it back to an Apple store.

11. Helianthus macrumors member

My phone was also not happy to have a high resolution image on it. It was all wonky until I managed to delete it. After that, every thing worked fine again.

12. JRomero thread starter macrumors regular

JRomero

And here we go again...

This time, I performed a voluntary reboot, just to refresh the system and reactivate some tones that somehow disappear after a few days. Now all of my third-party apps crash back to the home screen.

I am now in the process of performing another backup/restore. This will be the THIRD TIME doing this for the same exact problem.

I am getting very frustrated with this. I paid so much money for this phone, and I still continue to pay a healthy sum of money every month just for this phone to not work as advertised.

:mad:

13. oneals2focus macrumors regular

oneals2focus

Man the same thing just happened to me today. Apps worked this morning now they just crash every time. :mad: And I didn't do anything to my phone. I hope the 2.1 update will fix this. :confused:

14. JIGPhone macrumors newbie

Kinda similar experience....

3 of my apps had updates, so I downloaded and synced them to my phone. Now 2/3 apps crash back to the main screen when I try to open them. What's going on?

UPDATE: A hard restart seemed to fix the problem.

15. Amt macrumors regular

I had to restore my iPhone at least 6 times in a three day period, so yesterday I took it to Apple's Genius Bar and they gave me a new one.