Large screen monitor/TV to mount on wall in office

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macinthelou, May 23, 2016.

1. Macinthelou macrumors member

I am thinking about mounting a large TV/monitor on the wall of my office, so I can have small group mtgs (5-6 people) and myself or one of the other participants can display their laptop screen on the large screen.

My office is roughly 11' x 17', and I would put the screen on the 11' wall, with people sitting as far as 6-8' away.

So my questions are:

1) How big of a screen should I get? e.g. is ~50" big enough?
    2) Would I just use a long HDMI cable to hook up the computer?
    3) Can you recommend something relatively affordable? i.e. < $1000 ideally

Thanks in advance for your feedback

2. pjfan macrumors regular

With that viewing distance, 50" could be enough. If you're reading text, then bigger may be necessary.

Dial into the TV you want; for me, I don't like to futz around and waste time with any other TV outside of Samsung. I've had good luck, and I don't like to turn my back on what works for me.

Exactly what I personally would do is:
    1. Price out wall mount on monoprice.com, and then
    2. Price out HDMI cable, faceplates, and routing of cable for your IT or cable subcontractor to pull
      1. HDMI is a must for those random guests, but I would always use option #3 below
    3. Buy Apple TV for Airplay, and maybe a Google Chromecast (for Android's Airplay)
    4. Determine what is left in your budget for the TV
    5. Buy largest Samsung at a preferred retailer (costco for me) within budget, it doesn't have to be 4K in my opinion for your usage, 1080p at 6' and presentation/documents ought to be okay
    That's what I would set out to do...

3. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

This is a great use for the apple tv. The company I used to work for had this set up in the conference room. The third generation apple tv would be fine for this. Samsung is a great company for tvs, should be able to get a 50" 1080P for around $600.