Larger iPhone... Ever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by npggirl, May 8, 2013.

1. npggirl macrumors member

npggirl

Hi all!
    I know, I know.. tons of controversy surrounding this topic. But, I am curious... Do you think Apple will ever introduce an iPhone with a larger screen? I currently own the iPhone 5, and still crave a larger screen. I have switched to Androids in the past to compare and contrast. I LOVE the larger screen for a variety of reasons, but hate the OS. I love the iPhone's OS and so forth, but wish it had a larger screen.
    Just curious about your opinions and thoughts?

Thanks,
    BN :eek:

2. cynics macrumors G3

Eventually.

They have to walk a thin line of not making a screen to big that other products become obsolete. If the iPhone had a 6" screen a lot of people wouldn't own an iPad mini. Hell if they made a 6" iPhone I would probably try to replace my full size iPad with it.

That's my opinion on that anyway.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you know then why create yet another thread on the topic? Opinions are mixed not only on the need and demand but whether Apple will. Another thread isn't going to provide a definitive answer.

4. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

You should call Apple corp office and ask them. Guess what the answer will be if you get through :D None of us little people know but just guesses.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Honestly a few women at my work place got gigantic phones, looks like they are carrying their kids' game boys or something, maybe it remind them of their kids. Bleeeww.

7. npggirl thread starter macrumors member

npggirl

I created another thread because I wanted to hear others thoughts on whether Apple would actually create a phone with a larger screen. I searched, and honestly, did not find a lot on the topic. Hmm, maybe I searched incorrectly.
    This IS a discussion board, however.. starting topics is what happens in a discussion board.
    Have a great day! :)

8. serega macrumors regular

I hope it will be a bigger phone too. In addition to small one. I dont want to carry iPad around if I can do same thing on bigger phone. No need to say go to Droid, I like Apple.

9. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

They will get there. iPhone 6 I think.

4.7inch is a great size - If the HTC One had only 1 front facing speaker thus a smaller chassis it would be the perfect phone...minus the OS ;)

10. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Larger iPhone... Ever?

I played around with the HTC One for a few days and loved the screen and size of the phone. It is a bit beefier than the iPhone obviously but it seems worth it. The build quality is a little iffy right now as my top speaker grill was starting to pull away from the main body. These are glued on as it is not a true unibody design. XDA had talk of a "Gap Gate" in reference to this.

Definitely the first android phone to feel as good (if not better) than the iPhones I have owned.

All that to say I would live to see an iPhones this size.

11. irDigital0l Guest

Seriously...people just want like a 4.5''-4.8'' iPhone.

Its not that even big.

That's what normal smartphone screens are. A couple are smaller (iPhone 5, Blackberry Z10) and a few are bigger (Galaxy S4).

It fits in the middle.

12. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I'm sure it will happen over time, seeing as big screens are the trend lately. I'm happy with the current size and wish the threshold was at the present, but I know that won't be the case.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I fit among that group of people, for the record, but I wonder if Apple "gave us what we want", if then we wouldn't start demanding for a bigger phone, like maybe 5"-6"? I don't know, obviously, but just a thought. I think people tend to want what they don't have, even if they don't really need it. I have been guilty on more than one occasion.

One such example was with the 64GB iPhone 5. I finally jumped on 64GB thinking I would need it. I have filled about 28 gigs. So, I guess one could say I did need it, since I would be at capacity on the 32GB model, but there are probably some things I could get rid of and not miss.

Anyway, just a little bit of devil's advocacy. :D

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just remember like 17 inch laptops. There comes a point when it becomes too big.

People get tired of lugging around 17 inch laptops when they were the "cool" laptops back in 2002-2005. Heck Apple even discontinued the 17 inch Mac book pro a couple of years ago.

A 5.5 inch Galaxy note (I had one) was really too big. I am in the operating room with scrubs. Some scrub shirt pockets do not fit the Galaxy Note 2. It's difficult to put in jeans. For shorts and kakkis its ok.

But there will come a point when a cell phones size is too large.

Can apple make a larger display without changing the physical body very much? Absolutely. Will they? Probably. But apple has a 3-4 year plan. They are going to milk the 4
    Inch design for the at least 2 years. Maybe come out with a 4.3-4.5 inch display in 2014 but still carry the 4 inch display while phasing the 3.5 inch display out.

It took apple 3 years to change the resolution of 320x480. Took them 2 years to change resolution from 640x960 to 1136 x640.

So we are looking at middle 2014 at the earliest for a larger display iPhone

15. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Me, I personally want my daily carry phone to be small. I'd rather get a 3.5 that was thin and had latest processor than the i5 I've got. But I often have a tablet with me. At least I carry a tablet on my work commute and certainly would have a tablet for any real travel.

But yes I think Apple should make a larger phone. Some folks will like it. I think Applied is missing boat by not making a phablet with a giant battery. I don't think that would sell as well as the i5. But it would sell.

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

There will be a larger iPhone at some point because the market shows that there is a demand for such a phone. It won't be this year though I don't believe.

Also I wonder what Samsung will do to "innovate" once they reach the size where the phone is too big. They may have already reached it with the Galaxy Mega.

17. awegew macrumors newbie

So you want a phone that's larger than the size of a phone?

"Also I wonder what Samsung will do to "innovate" once they reach the size where the phone is too big. They may have already reached it with the Galaxy Mega."

Samsung's innovation was spaghetti on the wall. Put out a bunch of **** models of every size because you're upstream marketing is horrible and Koreans can't do anything original. Then when you discover what models sell well, put someone else's innovations into it. That American consumers want to throw their money to a Korean company is sad especially when there are more innovative options at home.

18. torana355 macrumors 68020

Apple have already said they don't intend on going any bigger then 4" claiming sacrifices in screen quality have to be made to go any bigger lol. The HTC One has a bigger screen and the quality is better then the iP5 screen. Apple are just being ignorant as usual and it will come at their own demise eventually.

19. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

It was last year mater :eek:

----------

Someone else innovation :confused: ? Name one samsung feature they put on galaxy phones that other companys use ?

20. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

nfc

21. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

nfc have been used way back, nokia did it first in a phone i think and it was a flip one, the first android or smartphone in the world to had NFC as whe know it now was the Samsung Nexus S :eek:

22. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

NFC is useless. Samsung buys their technology farmed out nothing in house.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am still not confinced it's useless. I think if Apple implements it, along with a secure paying system, it will take off. Companies seem to like to adapt technologies that Apple incorporates, and for good reason; if you own a high end smartphone, there is a higher chance you have an iPhone than any other.

24. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

You sure you're talking about Samsung ? Cause it sure it what Apple does mate lol

NFC is sooo useless, thats why Visa and Samsung made a deal.....

25. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

all apple design is in house.

Who cares about visa.