Larger iPhone is needed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdmoore74, Oct 20, 2012.

1. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

If Apple can do a iPad 9.7 and 7.85 inch with different resolutions why can't Apple do a 4" and 5" iPhone with different resolutions?
    With 1080p phones a true reality Apple is going to be far behind the display curve and Android.

2. slayerz96 macrumors member

There are reasons:
    - Apple is more concerned about single handed use than turning their phones into phablets as stated in their keynote

- we don't know much actual stuff about the 7.85" iPad Mini. However it MIGHT have 768p resolution just like the iPad 2. Apps will most likely look okay in that resolution despite the smaller screen size.

- You don't need a 1080p mobile display to match up against competitors. The retina display is fine the way it is right now. So far the only beast phone with that display is the J Butterfly which is not only Japan-exclusive but also has a pretty low capacity battery.

I'm not trying to bash android here. I gain nothing from it. I am just stating that Apple doesn't need to have such larger phones/screens to compete with Android, despite fandroids claiming that Apple is dead since 2007.

3. hdalien macrumors member

I've got to go with Slayerz on this one, having small hands I can still easily use my 5 with one hand. If Apple were to adopt a size similar to the S3 or the larger one (Nexus?) or whatever, it really becomes a two handed feat to use your phone. I would still opt for the form factor of the 5 over a larger offering. For me, if a larger real estate screen is needed, I'll switch over to using my iPad.

4. cdmoore74 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not saying scrap the 4" model for the 5". What I'm trying to say is why not have 2 models at the sametime? Let people decide what is big and what is small. Why is Apple coming out with a smaller iPad if the larger one is so perfect?

5. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Apple are trying to make a one size fits all device which means no giant screens. Obviously this only pleases the majority not absolutely everyone so if you want larger or smaller go buy an android device and quit whining.

6. cdmoore74 thread starter macrumors 68020

So the 9.7" iPad is a one size fits all device? Or is the the 7.85" iPad a one size fits all device? I'm confused by your statement.

7. hardax macrumors regular

After a point, it just stops being a phone at these ridiculously large sizes. How do people carry these things around unless you have a purse or bag of some sort. I think Apple is being very smart not wanting to go bigger with the iPhone.

8. big samm macrumors 65816

4.3 would be perfect!! But yeh apple is being smart about keeping the screen to 4inch.. I have a Galaxy Nexus 4.65 inch and while i love the screen size, it is really hard to use with one hand... Not comfortable to use which degrades the experience!

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Well, when the iPad came out Steve Jobs said there would never be a small iPad....so obviously with him gone, anything goes. So who knows, maybe we will see an ugly, unusable 5" iPhone.

10. undertaken316 macrumors newbie

11. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Well I was talking about phones, but feel free to go off on a tangent with with a completely different product designed for completely different uses.

They also make more than one mac, doesn't mean theres going to be 2 iPhones anytime soon.

12. swy05 macrumors 6502

Typical responses.

First 3.5 was the perfect size and people bashed anything over 3.5 inches.

Now Apple releases 4 inches and all of a sudden Apple are geniuses for this. And once again people don't want anything bigger.

What are you going to do when Apple increases the size?

Ooh I forgot. It'll be the perfect size once again.

You see how pathetic this is?

People need a bag or purse to carry around the galaxy s3?

FYI and to the people who've never even owned one, stop spouting b.s..

My s3 fits in my pocket fine no problems. It fits in the hand and pocket better than my iphone4 due to its flatter and curved form.

13. meistervu, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

meistervu macrumors 65816

So why do you think Apple doesn't make a wider phone than the iPhone 5?

Are they just plain stupid assuming adding a larger phone right now would increase their marketshare and profit?

Or are they just stubborn for sticking to a statement they made a while back?

Or perhaps they make so much profit right now that there is no need to make more?

Or perhaps they think that the market for a larger iPhone is pretty small, and that adding one would not improve their bottom line at the cost of fragmentation?

When I think about it, hands come in different sizes, so perhaps the current iPhone 5 fits 85% of the population nicely. The remaining 15% could use a larger phone, but among those 15%, 8% find the current size OK, 3% a bit small, 2% small, 2% unacceptably small. If that's the case, there is not much of a compelling reason to introduce a larger phone than the current iPhone 5.

Here is an interesting exercise: stretch your hand and measure the distance between the tips of your thumb and your little finger and compare that to another adult who is much shorter or taller than you. I suspect that you find a smaller variance than expected. When it comes to hand reach, the differences among people of different sizes is significantly small compared to their physical differences.

14. Nate. macrumors regular

Nate.

I tried the S3 for a while before ordering my iPhone 5. No, they don't need a bigger phone. The monster that is Samsung's (and other Android manufacturers, don't get me wrong) S3, and other phones, is that they are TOO big. If you want a giant phone, power to you, but they don't need some huge iPhone.

Not only that, I usually had to move the S3 up and down in my hand, for example, to use it. If not use 2 hands for some things. And I have fairly big hands, they aren't small. The fact the iPhone 5 (and the other iPhones) can be used with one hand is a PLUS. I don't want to have to be trying to position my huge phone right just to use it.

15. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Screen is not only a respectable size at 4" but also has a great 16:9 ratio as well as a Retina screen with great color saturation. Larger has its disadvantages also. Many of us appreciate one handed operation as well as being able to comfortably slide this phone into a pocket

16. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Not larger but wider.

I want not a larger but a wider iPhone.

17. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I don't understand the need for huge phone screens either. Why don't you just carry a 17 inch MacBook Pro around with you? This is getting ridiculous.

18. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Because its a second price point. At a likely $300, it can compete with the smaller/cheaper tablets. Its a market apple hasn't tapped into yet.

What new market does a 5" iPhone tap into?

It's a business decision. They can't make devices to please everyone or they'd go out of business.

19. Tig Bitties, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

No offense, but I hate that response, calling a little larger phone a Tablet :rolleyes: Yes phones like the Galaxy Note II @ 5.5" is too large, and that is a Phablet.

To me, the perfect phone size was the Galaxy S2 and EVO 4G @ 4.3", that is only .3" bigger than the iPhone5, but it's both a little taller and a little wider, I even like 4.5" which the U.S. Galaxy S2's were made. I think the 4.3" - 4.5" size is just right. And Apple could easily make an iPhone at that size, and NO that is not a Phablet.

My Wife has the HTC One @ 4.7", and that is getting to the too large size for easy one handed operation. I think the Galaxy S3 @ 4.8" is also on the large size, and hard to one hand it. I have the Galaxy Nexus @ 4.65", and that is border line almost just right the size, but also, just a tad too large.

So yeah, for me 4.3" - 4.5" is perfect for a phone, just my opinion. iPhone5 @ 4" too small, and Galaxy S3 @ 4.8" too large, right in the middle is perfect.

Only way I would get the iPhone5, is once the Jailbreak is out, I love my Widgets and customization. So whenever the i5 is jailbreaked, I might consider it, but by then, I might already own the new Nexus phone, due next month.

20. qawsed27 macrumors member

Part of being a great company is not diluting your brand with inferior products. At some point you have to do what you feel is right, not what the others are doing. This whole idea of bigger = better is for simpletons. Apple is for the educated, not the bigger is always better crowd.

----------

Where does it end? What's the perfect size then? If there was an S3 that was slightly larger, would you buy that? I was happy with the 3.5 and I'm OK with the 4 because it isn't any wider. Could I be happy with larger? Maybe, but only slightly.

Companies will do what they think their customers want. Samsung had to be different, so they are trying to appeal to a different type of customer. The non-intellectual type who thinks bigger must be better and if they run commercials all day that people will buy. They're doing a fine job of it, they really are. It just gets silly when these non-intellectuals don't understand why Apple won't cater to them also.