Larger screen affecting performance new iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Aug 19, 2012.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, so I am just curious. THe biggest improvement I want to see in my new phone is better performance (my 4 is pissing me off lately). And I need more storage space (I am guessing they won't increase the storage space options though).

So, with this new larger screen the new phone most likely will have, how much better of a processor and graphics chip over the 4s would it need to perform as well if not better than the 4s (I really want it to perform better than the 4s).

I ask this cause my 4 was the first with the high resolution screen which everyone was ooh and aahing over. But in the end the 3GS was faster in some things like games and such cause it didn't need as good of a processor/graphics chip/ram to run the lower res screen and the 4 didn't get that much of a jump in processor.

So this year, if the new iphone only gets what the rumors have shown, and nothing new, if it only gets a weak processor/graphics chip upgrade, I'd wonder if I am better off with a 4S (I don't really care for a larger screen. It's more something I'd put up with if the phone has other things I like. And I honestly like the format of the 4/4S case though it seems the new one is keeping about the same form, just longer).

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

The resolution is going to be 1136 x 640, up from 960 x 640.
    This is a relatively minor increase and it should not affect overall performance even with the current hardware.

Comparing this to the upgrade from the iPhone 3GS 480 x 320 to iPhone 4's 960 x 640 - it is a massive increase. Four times more pixels to drive, requiring significant hardware improvement.

Performance in the iPhone 4 was still far better than the 3GS, even accounting this increase in resolution.

In any case, what I am saying is don't let the increase in the display's resolution and performance impact your decision making process. I can comfortably say it won't affect performance at all.

3. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Cool, though honestly, I kept hearing how the 4 didn't have much of an increase in performance and actually dragged a little in stuff like games (that the 3GS was actually a bit faster in that case). And I could believe it cause even when new the 4 had some lag (it wasn't too bad but kinda un-impressive considering it was the latest and brand new iphone. And I had that thing since the first day it came out).

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Storage space might actually be an issue for the new iPhone - surely apps that take advantage of the additional screen real estate will require more memory. If os, then perhaps Apple will bump up the storage...

5. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

The 4S and iPad 3 have no issues with speed and pixels...

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The iPad 3 certainly does.

Not much, but some.

Pushing extra pixels does require more resource, but I expect at least a slight spec bump that will cancel it out and probably exceed it - there won't be nearly so much difference as there was between the 3GS and the 4 in terms of graphics power needed.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

If you were to upgrade to a 4S from a 4, you would notice a massive difference in speed. If the 5 does not end up appealing to you, you could still get a 4S have an significant gains in performance over your current 4.

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

With the small increase is resolution I wouldn't expect any performance issues assuming they improve the CPU/GPU which I'm sure they will.

9. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I definitely understand your concern; there was a tangible graphical performance loss from the 3GS to the 4 and the iPad 2 to the 3, though not a hugely apparent one. However, I'm sure they will update the next iPhone to an underclocked, 32nm A5X or possibly an A6, which would surely overcompensate for the slight increase in resolution. If not, I still feel that the GPU in the A5 is perfectly competent at driving those additional pixels.