Largest U.S. Naval buildup in the Gulf near Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OldCorpse, May 23, 2007.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Something is cooking! C'mon Bush can't leave office without another giant screwup! This is the biggest buildup since the start of the Iraq war. I wonder why...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18812865/

"ABOARD USS JOHN C. STENNIS - Nine U.S. military ships entered the Gulf on Wednesday for a rare daylight assembly off Iran’s coast in what naval officials said was the largest such move since the 2003 Iraq war.

U.S. Navy officials said Iran had not been notified of plans to sail the vessels, which include two aircraft carriers, through the Straits of Hormuz, a narrow channel in international waters off Iran’s coast and a major artery for global oil shipments."

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

I guarantee you it is only a training exercise.

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yes, I certainly hope so.

That said, "training" for what?

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'll guarantee you it's intimidation against Iran to bolster the US administrations attempt at sleight at hand e.g. blaming out side influence (Iran Syria ) for the ginormous balls up that is Iraq.

6. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Interesting.

I wonder how we would react if Iran a) declared their desire to overthrow our government b) authorized covert action against us c) kidnapped our diplomats d) invaded our neighbor

and

e) started the largest naval excercise since invading our neighbor - right near our waters.

I bet there would be outraged calls from across the nation to strike now, to pre-empt, and how bad, and what a bully, and Islamofascism.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Me thinks it might have more to do with petro dollars being at risk.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A classic example gunboat diplomacy, and not nearly as dripping with portent as some seem to think.

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Just a show of force and nothing more. What do we have left to invade Iran with? Maybe we could call on the NYPD.

Going on 5 years with the Iraq war and still no oil is being pumped out of the Iraqi soil. Makes me wonder what the whole point of everything was.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The military industrial complex doesn't need a reason, just an excuse.

If only we had an itemized list of the Defense, Security and Logistic
    contractors who have benefitted directly and indirectly from the
    Bush-Cheney War On Terror.

Then take a look at their political campaign contributions.

This stuff goes back to Prescott Bush and of course Cheney's ties to
    Halliburton and collectively to Big Oil.

Strategically, we can not afford for anything to interrupt the flow of oil from the Middle East, but we also want to control who else gets that oil.
    A bit of the DeBeers strategy is also thrown in there to limit production
    so that supply and demand keep prices from falling.

The naval buildup could also be used to control the shipping lanes and limit
    what goes in and out of the region.

What worries me the most about this situation is the danger of one false
    move by either side.

If we were to launch an attack against Iran even on a limited scale,
    the situation would rapidly escalate to the point where our military
    would not have enough manpower to control the situation.

What you would have then is a situation where this Democratically controlled Congress might be forced to re-instate the draft.

So we have to wonder how badly the military industrial complex wants
    to keep their gravy train rolling in.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Are you questioning the greatest military in the world?

Also, there's still tons of oil coming out of Iraq. We just haven't increased production. It's been about 2 (thingies... billion barrels? I can't remember) and we were promising to get it up to 4.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

And I thought the only reason for going to war was to eliminate Sadam's weapons of mass destruction :rolleyes:

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They can go ahead and invade Mexico.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The other reason for this show of force is Iran's nuclear program, which the IAEA has just reported as having been made effectively un-monitorable by Iran.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Bingo!

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

However, the urgency seems somewhat artificial. Someone's aching to precipitate a crisis:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6687137.stm

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The end of the decade is three years from now, which is hardly a long time off. I think we should have paid attention to what the IAEA was saying about Iraq's nuclear programs several years ago, and I believe we should be paying equal attention to what they are saying about Iran's nuclear program today.

As for precipitating a crisis, the Iranian government started down that road some time ago.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a long time in politics.
    Dealing with this would have been a hell of a lot easier if Bush hadn't made his "Axis of Evil" speech, and if the US tried to re-establish diplomatic relations. Refusing to talk and adopting a threatening military posture, as is the MO of this WH, is not going to produce a positive result, of that we can be sure.

19. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

With the neocons cackling in glee while they count their piles of kickbacks from M-I donors.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am reminded of GHW Bush's great contribution to both America's reputation for fairmindedness and US-Iranian relations after the shooting down of Iran Air flight 655 in 1988 with the loss of all 290 passengers and crew by the USS Vincennes: "I will never apologize for the United States of America—I don’t care what the facts are". A true classic of international diplomacy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Granted, but I think we also need to remember that Iran has benefited hugely from the Bush administration's bumbling foreign policies. In fact no country but Iran seems to have benefited one iota from the Iraq misadventure, least of all Iraq or the U.S.. Keeping that in mind, I think we are often hearing the overplayed argument that Iran's paranoia is well-earned. In fact they are more powerful and influential than ever -- and don't think they don't know it. They can thumb their noses at the international community (who's interests in Iran are represented by the IAEA) because the world's only superpower has so stupidly squandered its leadership role. Iran is now taking full advantage. I think this is a far more important geopolitical fact of life now than any speech George Bush made six years ago.

Sorry, but I don't know where this gets us.

22. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

why are we making threats when everyone knows that we don't have enough manpower in the military? :confused:

23. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Being ex-Navy I can guess this is a typical "exercise" just to show Iran the Prez is "ready and willing" to go after Iran if necessary.The Navy does this all the time.I did it during that other disaster Vietnam.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course they know it, and of course, like any canny state, they are seeking to benefit from their increased leverage. However, they are still under punitive sanctions, still subject to endless meddling in their internal affairs, and still at risk of pre-emptive attack, which can only serve to harden their resolve.
    That they have learned they can do with impunity from the US President.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

One American is worth a thousand heathen savages.