Larouche, Democrat or Cult Leader?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 63dot, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/cult/larouche/main.htm

I ran into these "reformers" of the democratic party who claim to be fiscally responsible democrats, and oddly tie that in with being an "FDR" democrat, and they don't want you to vote, or even to check out the DNC, but simply give them money.

They did strike me as being similar a religious cult (think of ones that go door to door) and then try to engage you in a conversation which ultimately leads to giving a donation, but not any sort of political action such as voting or lobbying.

I found these people to be on a script, and if anything their philosophy sounded more republican than democrat, but when their pitch soon turned to donations, it became clear they were not unlike the religious cults who go door to door in search of people's hard earned money. It was two sentences of politics (if you can even call it that, and the rest being if you can open your checkbook to them since they needed money).

I can't speak for Larouche, who wasn't there, and whether it's really his group, or a clever group of scammers using his name, but I felt as violated as the religious nuts make me feel when they come up to my place right as I am leaving for work.:mad:

thoughts/experiences?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I had a run in with the LaDouchies in Toronto, they were set up not too far from my hotel passing out pamphlets and had signs with pictures of Obama with a Hitler mustache. A bunch of damned morons if you ask me. And why they were in Canada was beyond me. Maybe they took the jokes of Canada being America's 51st state too seriously.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Maybe they realized you guys up there are doing better than us in the lower 48 and may have more spare change and willingness to write a check. :eek:

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I haven't heard that name in years! Didn't realize he was still alive and they were still active. After a quick check it looks like one of them won a Democratic primary in Texas last year. Her agenda sounds very Tea Party-like so she probably caught that wave.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

He's a criminal too. He spent a number of years in jail due to convictions for mail fraud and tax code violations

6. 63dot, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The people I saw don't really have any stances or resemble what I have read about LaRouche in previous years. I would think those that follow LaRouche at least have some point of view.

Ironically, they had flyers which came from the local DNC office with local democratic candidates posted up on their table, but they wouldn't say who, what, or where about those candidates. Not only that, they wouldn't let you take a flyer or elaborate on what these candidates stood for. Having official campaign brochures seemed to be a tactic to "legitimize" their presence.

What I do know is that regardless of who they say they were, LaRouche or not, they were out asking for a lot of money with $25 dollars being the minimum donation.

Recently, the local Tea Party had a counterfeit organization which was outed by the local newspaper as being the local county republican office. The actual Tea Party leader tried to take action, but he was mired in legal action and he actually had to disband the official Tea Party group not being able to fight in court over the name vs. the republicans, but before he did so, he told the press and everyone he could on the internet about the fakes.

The lawsuits and defamation are yet to be seen in its entirety, but some republican officials allegedly bought "Don't tread on me" flags, tri-corner hats, and even handed out anti-Democrat/Republican literature but then sent redirects of their rallies directly to web pages of county republican candidates. This scam may have played out in other counties, too as a clever bait and switch.

I thought LaRouche, as much as I don't agree with him, as more intelligent than sending young people out to collect donations without saying a single word about politics or policy. They were like somebody completely mute sitting in front of the grocery store with hats out there to collect donations. It appeared one of more of these people were homeless. If that's the case, whoever it is that is exploiting the homeless and society's goodwill in helping them, should be thrown in jail if they are not helping these people who seemed to be automatons seeking cash. The so-called Larouche Democrats set up a table a block away from the homeless plaza and seemed to enlist nearby help. No message, just a "poor-me" look and few words, but a willingness to collect as much money as possible.

They said they would e-mail me that day about "their meeting me and liking my empathetic words to them", but guess what, no e-mail. I really smell some sort of scam.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I occasionally find them fun to troll. They lead off with silly questions like "would you have poisoned Socrates," to which the obvious answer is, "I sure would, the troublemaking bastard!"