Larry King Poll

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by phungy, Aug 21, 2007.

1. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

71% Atheist? Something doesn't seem right there. As much as I want that number to be as high as possible, it's way too high for this country

3. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (HTC_P4350 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12))

I know, but even for a non scientific poll, the numbers seem off

5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

You're right they are. According to some research studies I've scanned the percentage of "Christians" is put at 75%-80%. "Christian" being a loosely defined term. Everything from weekly-church going folk to people who have "Christian" values - whatever that means. Since the poll is at LK's site, I am not surprised that most respondents are atheists. LK/CNN tend to have a fairly liberal stance, mostly frequented by leftists many of whom of course tend to be non-religious.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Agreed - with the numbers as of my vote, I'd believe 102, not 10238.

On a side note, I wonder how the JW's feel about being knocked out of the Christian category.

7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

probably about as good as the Mormons who were "invalidated" by the Pope in 2001. And as good as Catholics who were described by a baptist convention in the 1990s as pagan, polytheists. The definition of a Christian has some way to go before universal acceptance.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The poll being on LK's website isn't the reason at all.

The link was likely posted on social networking websites where the majority of those users tend to be atheist. They probably flooded the poll with the "atheism" answer to skew the results. It's been done with almost every post-debate poll on ABC's website.

CNN isn't liberal in the least bit, so don't try to use that as justification for the poll results. This country has no real liberal party.

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Don't be naive. it's not called the communist news network for nothing.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I've only heard it called that by right-wing nut jobs on the internet.

People in this country have no clue what communism is if they think CNN is communist.

11. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

The description is hyberbole. It's meant to negatively denote, CNN's obvious preference for the liberal agenda. Before MSNBC went wacko-liberal left, CNN set the standard for the pro-left message.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Right.

I hope you're just joking around with me, because absolutely no television news networks are left-leaning.

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Right back at you.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

None of those statements are true.

You mean like when they used to have ultra liberals on like Bob Novak and Ollie North, or Glen Beck, who still has his own show? Or maybe wacko left liberals like Tucker Carlson or former Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough on MSNBC? Yeah, ok.

15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Whether or not a media source leans left or right is really a matter of where you stand. it5five is of a liberal mindset and supports Kucinich so he is going to see most media outlets as right leaning. Others see the MSM as the so called "Drive-by" media and see them leaning far to the left.

I am generally a conservative on most things but my homepage is set to CNN. I find that they currently tend to give more positive articles to the democrats and make the republicans look negative (or maybe the republicans do that for themselves) but that is the general opinion of the public at this time. Since CNN is trying to capture as much audience as possible, they have a tendancy to follow public opinion about the political parties. When Bush was hugely popular after 9/11 they had nothing but good things to say about him. Now that the majority of the country disapproves of him, CNN is pretty hard on him.

The majority of the media tends to give all politicians a free pass on anything complicated because the general public won't spend the time to invest themselves in anything more than a simple headline.

16. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Solvs, don't confuse opinions with facts. Alan Combs is on Fox, does that mean the truth is Fox is a liberal-leaning station?

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

How did I know you were going there. First of all, if we even call Colmes a liberal, he doesn't have his own show. He's barely a second banana on Hannity's show. Said so himself on many an occasion, and anyone who watches the show (which I have) would know that. Both CNN and MSNBC have several conservatives and moderates with their own shows. If you still need proof, I can point you to several actual liberal web sites that will point out how non-liberal the MSM is on a regular basis. Would be nice if you proved your statement first though since you're the one who brought it up. We hear it a lot around here, but notice it's rarely backed up, and even when proven incorrect, posters still continue to spout it.

That and what imac/cheese said above.

18. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Apparently you missed the point of my post. I am agreeing with imac/cheese that it's all about opinion.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Someone tell Larry to smile. He can scare small children.

Attached Files:

20. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Huh? I must have missed that. Got any in depth reading (either as a post/PM/link)?

21. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I should have been more specific. The pope invalidated Mormon baptism, which necessitates new baptism within the RC church. Meaning, one isn't a christian until one has a baptism besides a mormon baptism.

Here's a few links

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/is_36_37/ai_77556877

http://www.catholicexchange.com/node/64576

And the original Papal declaration

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...cfaith_doc_20010605_battesimo_mormoni_en.html

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You said the media is liberal. It isn't. This has been disproved in this forum many times, but since you brought it up, the burden of proof (which you still haven't given) is on you. Now you could say they're more liberal than you are, some of them are more liberal than many of us here, but you didn't say that. You said CNN has a liberal agenda, and that MSNBC has gone wacko liberal left.

Had you put it the way cheese did, we might have agreed with you, but the way you put it was much more inflammatory and completely incorrect, as I've already pointed out.

23. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

This entire thread is about OPINION! it goes without saying that just about everything posted is about opinion - my posts included. But, you may be too obtuse to get that.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I'm obtuse because you claimed something as a fact that isn't true, and now you're trying to say it was just an opinion. K. It's not opinion that Joe Scarborough and Tucker Carlson are conservatives. They are. Both have their own shows on MSNBC. It isn't my opinion that MSNBC isn't liberal, which you never even proved BTW, it's actually provable that they aren't. Which is what I just did. The same could be said of CNN, especially since you said they've been that way for awhile, which they obviously haven't if you look at who their talking heads have been in the past couple of years, among them Robert Novak and Glenn Beck, who still has his own show too BTW.

And again, your use of terms like wacko and liberal agenda makes you seem more like a partisan than either of the networks you are criticizing for being so, especially since anyone who watches them knows they are not, and anyone who looks at who their talking heads are should get.