Larry Lessig might jump in the race as a Democrat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Aug 11, 2015.

1. aaronvan, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Lessig announced Tuesday morning that he was launching a presidential exploratory committee to for president with the chief purpose of enacting sweeping changes to the nation's political system and ethics laws.

Prof. Lessig, a member of the Sunlight Foundation, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and the Free Software Foundation, would be an outstanding candidate. I hope he is serious about getting in the race, even with his odd plan of resigning after passing his reforms. I doubt his campaign would have a chance, but he would add seriousness to the debate.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

As crazy as it sounded, and someone from Minnesota would have to confirm this, but I remember in 1996 that Jesse Ventura stated that if he won the election for governor (as an independent) if all of his plans and agenda were put into law, he would not run for another term as governor... I believe he was a one-term governor, so either his agenda worked, or it was so bad that he was thrown out of office.

So Lessig stating what he would do is plausible. Being active with the FSF and EFF does give him geek cred, but it will have to translate over to the common people and those less IT challenged, which would be the big sell.

It will be interesting to see what he does.

BL.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

According to his wikipedia page he favors reform through a second constitutional convention.

While that would be very entertaining, I highly doubt the country could manage it.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Haven't been able to manage it since 1787.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Interestingly, Larry Lessig was an informal Sanders campaign adviser until very recently. I wonder what made him break with Bernie and decide to explore his own bid? Probably he realizes that Bernie is another Howard Dean: a gadfly who excites the base, but whose campaign will slump and fold when people actually step into the voting booth.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If Sanders is just a gadfly, what would that make Lessig?

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

It doesn't make Lessig anything.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How about ... a mite on a gadfly's eyelash?

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He'd have about the same chance Adlai Stevenson had.

Hofstadter's book Anti-Intellectualism in American Life has been around a long time now, but its underlying truths have not changed one bit in the meantime. I don't know when this country will ever get over its suspicion of wonks, geeks, scientists and assorted other intellectuals possessing anything more intimidating than even a master's degree in English literature. There's a streak of fundamentalism that just won't give it up in the USA. It boggles my mind that we have creationists in the US Congress in the 21st century. Yet we cast aspersions on Wahabi Muslims for being stuck in the 7th century and trying to take us all back there. Maybe we should get our own stuff up to speed before we pick on other backwards cultures.

Anyway Lessig's move is interesting if only because... why the split from Sanders? Does he think Sanders is too far left and the other guys too unknown to take on Clinton and present a viable alternative to her?

What about Biden? What about one of the Castro twins taking on, say, Marco Rubio?

So weird if the Democrats suddenly end up with a lot more horses in the race than anyone figured on. Everyone's getting nervous about the big question: what if Hillary stumbles?

10. aaronvan, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015

aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Or,

"So nat'ralists observe, a flea
    Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
    And these have smaller fleas to bite 'em.
    And so proceeds Ad infinitum."

Better. Larry doesn't have holes in his shoes.