Larry Wilmore calls half-white Obama a 'N-word'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SHNXX, May 4, 2016.

1. SHNXX macrumors 68000

Although it's rude to refer to another person the n-word, isn't it weird for a black person to call a half-white person the n-word?

I thought Obama was half-black and half-white?
    I thought that in his book, he talked about how he searched for his black roots as a young man, as he identified with his mother's side of things more.

Why is he all of a sudden, just a "black" person, the way Michael Jordan or Ben Carson are?

For that matter, why is George Zimmerman a white guy, when he's actually half Peruvian?
    So when you mix a black person with a white person, you get black, but when you mix a Hispanic and a white, you get a white?

What happens when you mix asians with the above?
    Very confusing stuff.

2. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

3. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

...apparently you do?

4. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Just enough to comment on the silliness and triviality of a new thread.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You get my uncle. He sorta looks like Bruce Lee, but talks like Larry The Cable Guy.

It's surreal, man.

6. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

I also care, just enough to make a thread about it on MacRumors forum to comment on the silliness of the comedian's trope.

7. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I take back my criticism... it was a worthwhile read as I learned a new word today. Trope. Had to look it up.

Love adding to my vocabulary. Thanks.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Your learning skills are totally on fleek today.

9. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Oh yeah? Fleek you!

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

...I was just trying to be friendly. :(

11. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I don't know... your avatar doesn't look very friendly to me.

12. zin macrumors 6502

If this is what it takes to take the issues seriously then the next president ought to crack some jokes about gun control, Baltimore, and climate change at the next comedy dinner.

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I didn't find Wilmore funny at the dinner and definitely disliked that comment. It wasn't edgy or fresh.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he charges $20 for that :p

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I put up a good front to hide the sensitivity of my soul.

16. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Jeez... It's only $10 on Manhattan's upper west side.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

For you, JK, I'll charge $45. ;)

18. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What I don't get is how they use the n-word on each other but another race uses it, they get bent out of shape. If it's so racist, stop using the word.

19. vrDrew, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think most people agree that Wilmore's routine fell more than a little flat.

That said, there is quite a long history of professional comedians bombing (comedically, not literally) at the Correspondents dinner. And part of the problem is that they have to go on after the President.

Traditionally people laugh at the President's jokes. In part because, well, he's The President. And for the last few years we've had a President with a quite remarkable sense of comic timing. But people laughed at George W. Bush's jokes too.

Coming on stage after the President you are always going to seem anticlimactic in comparison. So there is a temptation to "push the envelope" with material. And at a time when the audience has already heard what they came for, and is looking forward to the limo ride home. It happened with Wanda Sykes. It happened with Joel McHale. Heck Stephen Colbert bombed (inside the hall) in 2007. And it happened with Larry Wilmore.

Memo to organizers of the Correspondent's Dinner: Find some other way of wrapping things up.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you still have a soul?
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2016 ---
    if Obama did not care, then I don't see what the big deal is. YES many minorities get away with calling themselves things that are deemed racist by others, YES it's a double standard, but as said, I Obama did not care about it then meh.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The n-word is strange because it's no longer merely a word, but a bright red cultural line painted in the sand.

What's even stranger is that you'll have the occasional non-racist person wanting to say it not because of it's hateful origins, but because it's been made forbidden fruit to them.
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2016 ---
    Shreds of one, yes.

22. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Perhaps it was inappropriate but it wasn’t that bad, Wilmore used it in the endearing connotation.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sigh. Are you a fully fledged product of the justly esteemed and widely venerated educational system of the United States of America? The one that promotes independent critical thought, entirely objective research, widespread reading, and in-depth skills of interrogative analysis? Yes, I thought so.

"Very confusing" indeed: Well, this strikes me as sort of blinkered, wilfully myopic. and stupefyingly historically illiterate confusion, especially when you come from a country, where, historically, whether a person enjoyed rights as a citizen, or didn't enjoy them at all because he was a slave, depended precisely upon such stuff as the percentage of 'white' blood such an individual could have been said to have pumping through their arteries and veins.

And yes, just to press this point home, - a little further - Nazi Germany had a precisely celibately set of horrid laws on what 'rights' you enjoyed depending - entirely - on what percentage of desirable - or undesirable - blood was said to run through your circulatory system.

Look: Under the chest heavy weight and political and social culture of the appalling history of parts of your country, precisely because President Obama does not look as though he is "a pure white" (yes, we know who his mother was, but some cast doubt even on the place of his birth on account of who his father was and where he came from) there are individuals in your country who judge him as 'black'.

Sigh.

Because when a word has been used as an insult and has been used as a term of offensive address to someone who is described thus, who uses it matters every bit as much as where it is used.

Used by two black men (or women) to each other, it is possible to view it as having been said ironically. Used by a white man, (with the exception of dialogue in Quentin Tarantino's movies) it is difficult to conceive of how it can be used except as a profound and deadly and humiliating insult.

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I get very uncomfortble when people call themselves their own slurs. Like black people saying the n-word or gays callinging themselves the f-word. Here you are flaunting around an offensive word that I'd never use. I don't call myself or other Jews the k-word. I don't like the double standard. It's hard to reconcile being angry at someone using that word if you use it yourself.

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Broadly speaking, I agree with you, and - speaking personally - I tend to take a similar approach.

However, re blacks, Jews, gays and women - and other groups - using the kind of words which have been used against them in an offensive manner, or as an insult, I can see where they of coming from, when they try to reclaim the word.

Reclaiming vocabulary means that you are challenging the right of others to define you in this way, - using words - and are also often removing some of the historical sting of the words thus used against you. Used in such a way, it can mean irony, - a coruscating irony, to be sure - rather than intended insult.

And used in such a way might make those who use language in such a way to insult, offend and humiliate to think a little before they use such terms in quite that way again.