Laser warfare is just over the horizon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Oct 10, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

ABL has been an active (and functional) system for a long while now.

Its existence was not black or TS - so I'm a little confused as to why it's suddenly in the news. Guess a little video goes a long way in spurring media interest.

This system isn't the birth of tactical laser warfare - it COULD be, if it wasn't a chemical-reaction-pumped laser - as once you use up your chemicals (which are REALLY toxic - btw) - it's done.

If they can get this type of energy output out of a diode pumped array, or ion / rf / lamp exciting - then you can (theoretically) operate it as long as you have a power source.

3. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it's supposed to show that the targeting was working from a real flying plane as opposed to clamped on some bench.

I think I read somewhere that they were working on some cascade solid state laser or something.

Here's another clip I found depicting what we do now for "assasinations"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unv9C2t7f5c

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont want to burst anyones bubbles but we have had high power lasers for a long long time, they are hitting the news now but decades ago they were classified and above. The packages are getting smaller, now if they will just come clean with UFO's there wont be anymore secrets.:D

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I've never understood why we keep trying to make "ONE HUGE POWERFUL LASER" in order to intercept / destroy targets.

The hi-cost, size, power output, and MTBF of a laser like this isn't very useful.

If only there was a solution to this... ;) :D

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Actually if you have a target that can jump around and play with missiles this is just what you need. Thats the real reason.

7. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think theoretically, since it’s like instant, you don’t have to worry about wind and lead and assuming you have a really good targeting system, you can sort of sweep it around and kill a group of ppl real fast without hitting anything else around them.