Last day to return: has anyone switched from white to black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wiivile, Oct 15, 2012.

1. wiivile macrumors regular

For those of us who placed 3am pre-orders on Sept 14 and whose iPhones shipped September 16, tomorrow (October 16) is the last day to return.

For me personally, I have the white, but am still undecided as to whether or not I should get the black since it appears sleeker and more professional. The white is GORGEOUS but sometimes feels like a toy.

Is anyone else holding out to return/exchange at the last minute? Has anyone else switched from white to black?

2. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I switched because I ordered black but BB only got in white on launch day. As soon as my black ones became available I switched. I just didnt like the white. I think it has alot to do with the wallpapers I use.:apple:

3. sleepyking macrumors 6502

you have 30 days to return from the day you receive it, so you have till the 21st, not the 16th.

anyhow, I did order a white on launch day and switched to black.
    couldn't pass up on the stealthy sleeker design.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

are you 100% sure on that? I know the applecare+ says 30 days from the day it ships. I wonder if returns are the same.

5. wiivile thread starter macrumors regular

I think that would be much fairer, especially since Apple intentionally held shipments until launch day on the 21st, but the return policy always says 30 days from ship date (Sept 16 -> Oct 16).

I'm seriously considering switching to black because it's more professional. I do think the white is more gorgeous but it looks kind of silly in an office and I use it for work.

6. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

So I have a white ip5 that I got from RadioShack. If I want to do a color swap, do I go back to them, or any Apple or AT&T store?

7. Steel28 macrumors member

Hmm, will this 30 day return work for Canadian Apple stores if the phone was purchased though Rogers retail store?

8. sleepyking macrumors 6502

from the Apple's "Returns & Refunds" Policy:

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.

not sure about Apple Care but this is what it says on their website.

the site also says items bought online cannot be returned/exchanged in an Apple Store, but I have done so at my local store in Pasadena, CA. Glendale also said they would do it. So I guess you just have to call your local stores to check.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

That's changed. You can now return stuff to an Apple store regardless of online or in store.

10. the caveman macrumors 6502

You have to go to Radioshack.

11. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Same boat. I have white AT&T 64GB. I like it, but it's just Ok. The black looks so much better IMHO. Been looking each night online trying to reserve a black for exchange. Hoping to get one this week.

However, my situation is a little different. I bought mine from AT&T store on launch day. So if I reserve one at Apple, I have to take mine back to AT&T first so the line becomes eligible for upgrade again (they told me it's instant), then go pick up the new one form the Apple store later that day. But, if I can't secure one this week, AT&T says if I come into the store before the 30 day return limit, and tell them I want to exchange it, and they don't have any in stock, then they can order me one, and my return time extends out to when the replacement becomes available. So, at the very least, i can continue to use the white while waiting for the next 3-4 weeks, until AT&T gets a black one. Confirmed this with two different stores just to be sure.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think below that in fine print it states "it is the stores discretion if they want to accept online returns", and they always do.

13. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

This thread kind of got derailed with the talk of return policies and such.

I'm planning on switching today. Returning a 64GB White AT&T this afternoon, and the immediately picking up a black 64GB AT&T that I have on reserve at the Apple store.

Was wondering how many people have switched from White to Black, and if you have, are you glad you did, or do you regret it? I already have a clear TPU Gel case that I'll be moving from the phones, so I'm not overly worried about scratching/marking on the black side/back (assuming that it doesn't come with a bunch already, as if I mark it, that's my problem, but I'll be double checking it before taking it home). Plus, with the clear case, I still get to see the cosmetic design of the black/slate backing, which is nice.

Thoughts anyone? Just looking for opinions more for morbid curiosity sake, as unless someone points out a big, glaring issue as to why I shouldn't do it, I will be exchanging. But just curious as to who else went through this "internal struggle" and are they "at peace" now? ;):D

14. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I didnt like my clear tpu case on my black iphone 5...after 2 weeks it started to yellow also. I ended up switching to a smoked color which I love.

15. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Where did you get you clear case from? Somewhere locally or eBay overseas? I picked mine up from an eBay seller from China. $2.99 (free shipping) for 2 clear TPU cases + 2 screen protectors. Figured it was worth trying, if not, I'm out $3. So, is there a possibility of yellowing in the future? Wouldn't be surprised. But so far, I really like them. I'll have to see how it looks on the Black later today. But, I'd also be lying if I said that didn't I have another smoke colored case laying around which I tried first (didn;t like it on the white). So, maybe the clear looks better on the white, and the smoke will look better on the black. We'll see! :D

16. dcgore macrumors member

How did you manage to reserve the black while having the white? When trying to reserve via the apple website and clicking on the replace an existing phone with the one i am trying to reserve, i get a message i need to visit an at&t store.

17. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Luckily, I had another line on my account that was eligible for a reduced upgrade (not a full upgrade, but enough that I could do the reservation). Then, when I got to the store, and I was working with a rep with the iPhone in his hand, they had me call the 800 Apple number, and cancel the reservation order, which would free up the phone, and then they just turned around, and sold it to me on the line I wanted it on, as a walk in sale.

One thing you could potentially do is add another line to your account to do the reservation, and then, when you get there, and your talking to the rep, tell them you changed your mind, and you don't want the new line, but that you'd like to swap your current phone for the new one, and have them ring it as a walk in, like they did for me. I *THINK* that should work...

18. danielxute macrumors member

I first got white then after 2 weeks bought a black on craigslist. It looked cool but i just didn't like the "slate" color on the back. So I just sold the black to my cousin.
    Then 4 days ago I saw a black on craigslist and bought that thinking i was finally going to decide on black. Used that for a few days but every time i saw a white one in a picture or mine sitting on my desk I would be undecided again. But I finally decided when I was in my car in sunlight and noticed that all the edges on the back of the phone were all scratched and the silver was showing :( so i got home, got my white out of the box and threw the black one on craiglist for a loss and im happy :D

tl;dr: Got white, bought a black, sold black, back to white, bought another black, saw terrible scuffs, finally decided on white. :p

P.S. does anybody else wish the black looked like this?
    http://www.iphoneantidote.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/3d-render-iphone-5-1.jpg

19. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

MsRandall - I'd have to say, you are correct on the case colors. I really wanted to like the clear gel case on the black phone, but you are right. In certain light, it almost looks yellow. Very strange effect. However, the smoke case that I had previously looks very sharp, as it almost appears to blend in with the black color of the phone. Almost like the smoke coloring keeps light from running through the case, so it appears darker, where the clear lets light in, and reflects. Great recommendation. Thank you!

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Got black, reserved white, going to exchange today.

And yes I wish the black did look like that. Real batman look :)

21. SnowDX macrumors 6502

You have to return at Rogers with their return policy.

22. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. How does that picture look different than what the black phone currently looks like?

So you are switching from black to white. If you don't mind me asking, what prompted your decision to do that? Just curious.

23. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If we get a replacement phone, do we just have to put in the old sim to activate it?

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The back of the rendered phone is darker. It looks like it won't shine in direct light but the current one reflects light a bit.

I'm switching because I've always had white and decided to go with black this time but the white has a cleaner look to it. Sleek. Kind of like alpine white BMW. Wish I had an alpine white, my BMW is space grey. I also like how the bezel edges of the white version reflects light.

25. Atrin1 macrumors regular

If I feel like I'm not getting a good battery life throughout my day, would apple exchange my phone for a new one? I have until Oct 31st.