Last Gen looked better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OSMac, Sep 22, 2012.

1. OSMac, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

OSMac macrumors 65816

If you have seen both in person, particularly the 4S Black looked nicer than the new black 5?

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

As im holding both in my hands right now the 5 just feels all around nicer, and Ive always liked the 4/4S design. thinner, lighter and just feels better

3. gadget123 macrumors 68000

The last generation white model looks better from the pictures I seen.

4. reputationZed macrumors 65816

At the moment I preffer the look of the 5. But a year from now after the newness has worn off (not to mention some of the black anodizing lol) who knows

5. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Are you asking a question or making a statement? It's hard to tell.

6. rmbpuser macrumors 6502

oops wrong thread

hm now on topic:
    oh not another of these threads

7. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I think the black iPhone 5 is the nicest looking phone I've ever had (and I've had ever iPhone except for the 4S). I was looking at it last night while eating out and it was sitting on the table and thought how great it looked and especially how thin it is. This will be the first iPhone I don't use a case with. That is why I got Applecare this time, just in case I drop it. I think Apple has really reach the epitome of what a smartphone should be with the iPhone 5. The problem is, I don't see what else they could do with it for future models.

8. shadrap macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5 is the nicest looking phone made period, bar none. I have owned iPhones, HTC One X, Galaxy S3, and Nokia Lumia. The iPhone 5 is better looking by leaps and bounds.

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I prefer the weight of the 4S over the new 5 personally. I also prefer the metal band of the 4S over the 5 as well, seems more solid- have both now in white.

The 5 thinness is nice; but not a reason for the upgrade- the screen is nicer in landscape mode to be certain.

10. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Seeing how you just got the phone yesterday, of course it is! I mean would you really keep a phone that's ugly?? or wasn't the BEST looking phone you EVER had!

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm holding my iPhone 4 next to my new iPhone 5. They are both enshrouded in a case. iPhone 4 served me well, and I'm going to enjoy my iPhone 5 even more from what I've seen so far. Who gives cr@p about which phone looks better b/c they are both are so damn fragile you don't ever get to see them naked except when you first take them out of the box prior to sealing them in plastic or rubber or whatever.

12. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I think the 4/4s looks sharper with the glass back. But the 5 feels nicer in the hands with the thinner, lighter profile. Overall I prefer the 5.

13. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Black i5 is a great loing iPhone. The white is a toss up for me. I still love my white 4s and think the styling has held up very well.

14. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

4s feels more premium than the 5

5 has the cheap samsung feel. maybe because it is too light.

the 4s feels more premium and better looking too in my opinion. now i have a decision to make. keep the 4s or keep the 5

lets call a spade a spade you hippy brethrens. if it wasn't for the shiny syndrome, everyone would pick the 4s over the 5 based of the feel of the phone alone.

decisions decisions

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, I'm liking the design, size and feel of the iPhone 5 over the 4. Apple hit it out of the park on this one in my opinion.

There is an issue with scuffing but short of that, I'm quite pleased with the phone

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

1. False dichotomy. If the current one isn't perceived by someone as the best looking that doesn't necessarily make it ugly.
    2. Subjective. Don't assume that your preferences are universal.

17. stoecki4 macrumors newbie

I love the iPhone 5. It is really really beautiful. More beautiful than the iPhone 4s.

18. Dannymonky macrumors member

Dannymonky

Everyone has an opinion. I think substantial is a better word than premium. 4s is kind of a brick compared to 5. 5 feels more "premium" to me. Especially when using LTE. There will no doubt be tons of haters.

19. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

Glad you guys agree. who else feels like the iphone 5 may as well be made by samsung? feels light and flimsy

20. appswipe macrumors 6502

I feel the black iPhone 5 looks better in pictures than in person which is weird because it usually is the opposite.

21. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I believed he 4/4s was the best designed phone I have ever seen. I still love it's classic elegance. I however believe the 5 is a better looking phone. I would like it to have the weight of the 4s but am not upset because it lighter.
    i5/4-4s/Oi/3g-3gs
    That order for me... 3g/s design was horrible IMHO.

Huh? You live near power lines or something?

22. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The only improvement I would make to the iPhone 5 would be to add a glass back which would also have the effect of increasing the weight (which I would prefer)

23. appswipe macrumors 6502

Ugh. Why not increase the weight by making it thicker? On a product this small then even the slightest thickness increase adds more space for battery and improved camera optics so I'd much prefer that over unnecessarily
    adding weight with more glass.

24. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That's the way I feel.

Last year I liked the white 4S better than the black 4, which I liked better than my white 3GS, which I liked better than the 3G that I didn't feel was a necessary upgrade from my original iPhone.

Newer wins.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's a mistake to equate "light" with "cheap" or poorly built. While The Galaxy SIII will basically fall apart and shatter if you drop it--the iPhone 5 holds up very well. There are a number of heavy phones that are low quality.

Purely from a design standpoint, I like the 4/4s design a little better though.