Last Gen MacBook 13.3 2.4GHz vs. MacBook Pro 13.3 2.26GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Niwdlab, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Niwdlab macrumors newbie

The 2.4GHz MB comes with a 250 Gb HD
    The 2.26GHz MBP comes with a 160 Gb HD and Firewire.
    MB is $90 more
    Office, Mail, Accounting software mainly.
    Which one?
    How important is firewire with one with no old peripherals?
    :confused:

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Go with the MBP. You could buy a 500gb hard drive for the MBP for $90 and the MBP has a 7hour battery.

3. mrj205 macrumors regular

Firewire doesn't really have anything to do with old peripherals vs. new peripherals. It has to do with data transfer speed, and of course interface. The MBP has a dramatically better display compared to the uMB. The battery life is also much longer. Go base 13" MBP.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Or, you could look on CL and pick up a uni mb for a bigger discount.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Go with the MBP, it's a better computer and both the battery and the screen are a lot better than those of the last generation MB.

Cheers

6. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Definitely go for the MBP. The battery and screen are way better than the MB's.

7. Niwdlab thread starter macrumors newbie

Last Gen clarification...

I'm comparing the 13.3" Aluminum unibody MB with the just- announced 13.3" MBP...it looks like all they did was added the word Pro to the former and added Firewire...

Do your recommendations still apply?

Thanks!

8. qacjared macrumors regular

Actually they added and SD Card Slot
    Firewire
    A better Screen
    Use of up to 8GB of RAM
    A bigger Battery

9. gavin83209 macrumors regular

If you intend to keep the MB(P) for over three or four years, the extended 8 GB RAM ceiling may be more useful than the processor speed. If you don't have any FireWire devices, it shouldn't matter what you pick, but the SD card or better battery may be a deciding factor for you. Both MBs can utilize 500 GB hard drives if needed. I haven't seen one of the new Pros in person yet, so I can't comment on the screen.

10. qacjared macrumors regular

yes 8GB ram FTW, just like 4GB was on Santa Rosa 2 years ago.
    Firewire Target Disk Mode is really handy!
    And just wait till you see 1tb hdds!

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

There's a lot of people screaming on the MBP forums that the latest firmware update from apple is drastically slowing down non apple hard drives.

AGATA-Apple Giveth, Apple Taketh Away

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if they drop the price more on the older model it might be worth a look...

Here at the local PX they are selling the old uMB's for $1047 and $1247 respectively...I was tempted to get the low end uMB but I got a whitebook for $747 = I also got applecare and 4gb RAM with money to spare for a extra HDD/SSD later if I want...

13. will0407 macrumors 6502a

14. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

WHITE MACBOOK PRICE/SPEED COMPARRISION: 2.26GHz (2010) vs 2.4GHz "Penryn" (2008)

After comparing the specs of the latest MacBook (whatever its' called) and the 2008 Penryn and found myself pondering these questions:

Why anyone would buy a new 2.26GHz MacGook over the previous 2.4GHz model?
    Why are they getting slower, not faster? Is this a sales tactic to get you to buy a MBP if you want more speed?

What's really going on?

15. Robb.Penoyer macrumors member

It's not always about the processor speed. The bus speed on the 2008 model is (I believe) 667 MHz and the memory is consequently limited to DDR2 667.

The MBP has a 1066 front side bus and the much speedier DDR3 1066 memory. Even with the degradation in clock speed, the machine will perform much better.

Computers always perform at the speed of the slowest component. CPU's for a very long time have been at the top of the performance chart. Watch for bus speeds on memory and storage devices, they will dictate performance.

With all that said -- depending on what you do with a computer, 80% of users of notebook computers would never be able to tell the difference between the two machines you are evaluating.

16. JonTok macrumors newbie

I've owned both machines and without doubt I'd go for the MBP 2.26 - it's got an SD card slot, better screen and the 7 hours+ battery is amazing. Only go for the 2.4 is the price is radically lower. You can update your HD at a later date at low cost.