Last night I experienced the grey screen of death!! Not cool!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petrucci666, Oct 4, 2010.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Last night I pop in a DVD into my 2009 13" MBP (OSX 10.6.4) and the disc wouldn't play. I try to eject it but nothing happened.

I force shut down it down, restart it while holding the mouse button, the disc ejects but the screen is stuck at the grey apple logo and the little spinning wheel. So I restart it again, nothing happens. After a few times it's still not working so I load the Install DVD that came with the MBP, select the language and go into Disc Utility to 'Repair the Disc' and to 'Repair Permissions' (I read an article somewhere that said to do this so I gave it a shot)

Fortunately, this helped and after successfully repairing the disc and permissions, I was able to get back into my account without any damage.

But my question is - should I be worried? Is this going to happen again or more frequently from now on? I never had this problem, as a matter of fact I haven't had the MBP freeze up, panic or anything in the past year I've had it!

I've had a MBP before this one and I know these aren't bulletproof (compared to PC's these are invincible, but still they're machines) but I also know that these things don't happen that often. Should I be worried?

Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you look to be ok. maybe your Mac wasnt starting because of bad blocks caused by the force shutdown and Disk Utility repaired them.

3. rjt1000 macrumors newbie

Not worried enough to lose sleep, but worried enough to do a backup?-->yes.