Last night I sat opposite an Ex-President of Intel!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acearchie, Aug 23, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok so this is going to sound like a really strange story but, last night I sat opposite an Ex-president of Intel!

His name was Gilbert and I was unable to get his last name and he was of French origin. If anyone knows an ex president list or something like that I would be much obliged!

He told me all about Andy Grove and how he thought Steve Jobs was a very charismatic guy from having many meetings with him.

He was also talking about how Steve's illness really affected him and it was really interesting to get a first person's perspective on it all!

He also said that he found Jerry Yang of Yahoo much more interesting than the two google boys.

His main job at intel was to take to leaders (princes, kings, presidents etc...) and to discuss what incentives and reasons they would provide for intel building a factory there. He joked about how much power he had walking round with a possible $7bn investment portfolio.

He has met President Bush (didn't speak to highly of him) and ex priminister Tony Blair (who he said was a very genuine and nice guy).

I also heard a funny story about giving bill clinton and his daughter Chelsea a tour of Dubai and when they got hungry they simply ate in a Pizzeria, he laughed at how people would be pointing that there was Bill Clinton simply having a pizza with his daughter, he said he was a great guy and was really kind when people came up to him to shake his hand or get his autograph.

The whole experience from last night has really been a blur, he also was talking about Michael Dell and how he doesn't think much of him.

What I found amazing was that he talked about these supergiants of the technology industry as though they were just acquaintances, which of course for him they were but I just found it really odd!

If anyone can find the surname of this guy I would be happy to find a picture online and compare to the one I took last night!

Being a 16 year old I found it amazing that he was just so open with me and had no fear talking about his work or anything and I am truly grateful for the experience!

So I just wanted to share it because it really has made a big difference to me! Oh and he has a new iMac aswell!

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

In a remote part of rural france.

Funnily enough it was a meal at the great grandson of Louis Vuitton, Hevré Ogliastro. It was after a classic car rallye which me and my father had participated in as had he.

Strange I know!

4. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I dont believe it!

Thats exactly the guy! Ill upload the picture I have of him in a minute, incase anyone is interested he has a really nice old mercedes sl!

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Now with pictures:

Here is Gilbert sitting across the table:

[​IMG]

And here is his car!

[​IMG]

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, after all that.....surely you had put out.

8. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sorry, I have to admit that I don't understand what your trying to say!

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Neat story.

Interesting perspective (his) on the different folks.

10. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

That's a yes ;)

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

LOL!! :D :p

12. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

haha -- sigh -- Lost in translation

he's suggesting ... vous coucher avec Gilbert ;) --- It's funnier in english though ... LOL

13. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I live in Phoenix, Az. Where Intel is headquartered. He is here all the time. Friend of mine owns a mexican restaurant in Scottsdale( like the beverly hills of Az) and he has come in a few times with a black American Express, its in invitational program in which you have to spend x amount of dollars yearly with your amex card to even be considered to be invited. I know multiple people with BAE's and its nothing special, like a Rolex watch pretty much. Like I said, not much.

Your welcome,
    Greg :):apple:

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

which restaurant? I spent a week vacationing in Scottsdale -- and I ate Mexican a few times.

15. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I can imagine him having quite a bit of cash, he seemed like he did. He has a swanky mercedes g wagon and lives in a pretty nice house!

16. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I will ask him, he starts school tomorrow though...

17. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

The restaurant was called chayos. Family owned an operated, now closed though. Had to bite the bullet of bad location, only being known by "certain people"
    :p

I think they may open another restaurant though, I dunno. I would open RIGHT downtown where all the businesses are at :) hah

18. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

LOL ... now I can't remember the name -- but i was there about 4 maybe 3 years ago

Location, Location, Location eh ... haha

19. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

So you asked what are Intel an Apple cooking up?:p

Anyways... why is he sitting in rural France? What does he do now?

P.S.: Couldnt find him on Wiki!

20. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Whatever the F@CK he wants :D
    hahah I would anyway. I would totally be in France, San Tropet too hahah. China, Japan, Greece ,Italy, Rome.

hahahahahah ANYWHERE... soon enough though :)

21. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My neighbor/best friends dad used to be a VP at IBM. Worked there for I believe 4 years and then started a consulting firm or something along those lines.

22. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Thats pretty cool. What is his name?