Last Night Paul Ryan Strips Amendment (AUMF)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 21, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Not cool. @jkcerda - your thoughts?

http://washingtonjournal.com/2017/07/19/sneaky-paul-ryan-stayed-last-night-trump-terrifying-favor/

The amendment by Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) would repeal the 60-word long 9-11 inspired Authorized Use of Military Force law (AUMF), passed in 2001, which Trump uses to arbitrarily deploy military forces against ISIS, drop bombs, carry out drone attacks and other hostile actions in a myriad of countries across the world.

It would have required the Congress to pass a new law before military action could be used against ISIS in Syria or elsewhere.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Bastards. Note the amendment removed was from one of those war mongering Democrats. :oops::rolleyes:

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't understand -- the Speaker can just edit bills at will?

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not sure of the mechanics either. I suppose the speaker has powers over what is included in a bill, as long as he receives no pushback from the membership, and an amendment from a Democrat? Swoosh, gone. :oops:

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

IT WAS the same law that Obama used to wage war as he saw fit???? pretty much how he attacked Libya & Syria and armed the rebels???????

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

But you didn't like it, right? So are you in favor of the amendment or not? I thought you were in favor. If so - aren't you angry about this?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

And if this bill had been passed five years ago, Obama wouldn't have been able to do a lot of those things. So you should be in favor of getting this passed!

And talking about that, why didn't Congress pass this while Obama was in office? Seems like the kind of toting Republicans would have loved to do, limit Obama's power.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why didn't democrats REPEAL it when they controlled HOUSE & SENATE????
    post 2
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ps-ability-to-wage-war.2054152/#post-24752799

unlike most of YOU , MY views don't change based on the letter next to the clown in question.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Then why was your first post here a deflection. Right... to bring in Obama. DEFLECTION my friend. And I don't believe I've ever stated support of Obama's right to use it. So that's a big fail there.

10. zin macrumors 6502

What is YOUR view on this? Instead of trying to score points by implicating other users, why don't YOU provide an opinion on the topic for once?

It's so pathetic how opportunistic the Dems are. This law should've been revoked a decade ago, if not more. Suddenly people care about the topic after 8 years of never-ending war. :rolleyes:

11. jkcerda, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you are deflecting from HIS use with a POS biased article pointing to Trump when it was OBAMA who got to use it.
    YOU just like the rest of the democrats appear to be against war ONLY when republicans are waging it, democrat could have done this when Obama had control or house & senate but obviously they are worse than republicans when it comes to war, YOU just blame republicans. staying quiet and voting for them is endorsing their crap
    the Liberal back bone is only there when republicans are in office, THEN you speak out against war.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2017 ---
    they could have repealed it when oclueless was in office.. he controlled house & senate for 2 whole years so yeah they are war mongering idiots who get away with it as they see fit because you guys seemingly think this was passed to help trump :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Sorry - was it not clear when I said not cool? I don't think the President himself should have this power. Never have. Has nothing to do with scoring points. As you see from the other thread - JK had already talked about this subject so I was looking to see his reaction to this latest development. Nothing more. Don't make this into something it isn't.

No deflection. And capitalizing YOU doesn't make your argument more valid - especially if you mean me specifically. Oh what a fail there, my friend. I'm not in favor of war. Never have been. I am in favor of protecting this country.

But who doesn't love a self righteous vowel movement like yours ;)

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so you support this amendment? after all, your guy used it to arbitrarily deploy military forces against ISIS, drop bombs, carry out drone attacks and other hostile actions in a myriad of countries across the world.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I do not think the President should have the power to declare war without congress. And I think there should be a majority vote in congress.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Lol, this is a perfect example of you switching your views based on the letter next to a name. You are against the AUMF when there is a D next to the president's name, but when there is an R next to the president's name you just deflect when the other R's keep the AUMF in effect.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Paul Ryan is really turning into pond scum. Thought he has a conscience but I guess he drank the Trump Kool-aid.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They are stupid for ever giving up the power in the first place.

“The Congress shall have Power . . . To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules conquering Captures on Land and Water;
    “To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
    “To provide and maintain a Navy;
    “To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
    “To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
    “To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress”

—U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 8, clauses 11–16

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wait, who did you support this last election cycle? I seem to remember about 14 different "xxxxx 2016!" posts from you.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Kinda like your guy is doing now?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We still have government militias?

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Lol, this is a perfect example of you switching your views based on the letter next to a name. You are against the AUMF when there is a D next to the president's name, but when there is an R next to the president's name you just deflect when the other R's keep the AUMF in effect.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Every able bodied male 17 to 45 is part of the Unorganized militia.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this is basically a duplicate thread , why don't you follow the link in post 8 for the answer?

here
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2017 ---
    Bernie sanders .
    of course he lost my vote when he sold out and my final candidate did not even know where Aleppo was.
    nice deflection from what your guy did...........

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they didn't give it up, they used it

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

basically it was the way for congress to avoid any responsibility......... they should ALL be fired/jail for giving the POTUS, ANY POTUS that much power.