Last semester College Senior debating when to buy MBP, need advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tjp820, Mar 5, 2010.

  1. tjp820 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    #1
    Hi, I'm a senior in college that is graduating this May and I'm in the market for a new laptop. My second dell laptop just melted on the inside and is not under warranty. I'm home on break right now and I'm thinking about buying the middle specced 15" MBP tonight or tomorrow morning to take back to school with me. I've never owned a mac before but I plan on using it for a long time. I'm not a serious computer gamer (proud Xbox 360 owner :p). The only game I'm looking at playing within the next couple years is the upcoming Star Wars MMO from Bioware which shouldn't be too graphic intensive. This laptop will be used mostly for finishing up my papers, watching hulu, and chatting with the girlfriend ;). I was wondering if you guys think I should try and wait it out another week or two till the impending MBP refresh or just pull the trigger so i dont have to use crappy IBMs at my school to do my hw. I apologize for the wall of text and any bad grammar but I'm about to go out to dinner. Any help is greatly appreciated!
     
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #2
    I don't see the MBP getting updated in the next 2 weeks
    But that's just my opinion and you will get plenty of others
     
  3. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #3
    Never contemplate big purchases on an empty stomach! :D

    It is anyones guess when the MBP updates are coming. I have a glimmer of hope that it is soon based on yet another release of 10.6.3, but what do I know - not much. I'm sure the current crop of MBP's will serve you well and for a long time. I had my PowerBook for 4.5 year. More RAM and a faster hard drive or SSD will add a little oomph down the road too.
     
  4. spartas macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2008
    #4
    For a moment, I considered replying with, "Wait until the refresh." However, if you want the MBP, then get the MBP because you may be waiting quite a long time. I just bought the girlfriend a new one the day after Thanksgiving last year with the Black Friday discount (fully expecting a January or February refresh), and still I do not regret it.

    Depending on what you decide, here's a few things to consider:
    • Apple typically does product refreshes on Tuesdays. This is NOT always the case, but don't be surprised when you pick up your new machine tomorrow and then there's a refresh in just a few days.
    • If you purchase the machine within 14 days of the refresh and you open it, then you can return it (with a 10% restocking fee) and get the updated one or you can just call Customer Service and get a store credit for the difference.

    The MBP buyers guide
     
  5. xlii macrumors 68000

    xlii

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Millis, Massachusetts
    #5
    We are very close to new MBPs. If you can borrow a machine from someone... do it. If I were you I would wait. My thinking is that they won't be out until the iPad is being sold. The new machine will keep you uptodate so much longer. That said, I own the June 2009 13" MBP and it is a near perfect machine in my eyes. Just the right size and balance between size, function, battery life, and speed.
     
  6. tjp820 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    #6
    Thanks for all the help guys! I'm still really torn on whether or not to buy an MBP tomo or try to tough it out till the refresh. I could prob do 2-3 weeks but a month would be tough :mad:
     
  7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #7
    If you really need one then buy it...it wont be that they will update with something really revolutionary or change the design...it would just be a processor update and some minor updates...if you can live without it (i think you can) then buy it!

    or if you dont want to regret later that you bought a slow machine (its not really slow) then wait :D
     

Share This Page