Last version of Photoshop to come without unadvertised bundled extras?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -Ryan-, Jul 22, 2010.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Hello all,

I need to install Photoshop on my Mac for a project at work. I've avoided Photoshop after seeing how ingrained it becomes on a system --- installing unadvertised extras such as the updater, spewing files all over my computer etc. One of the IT guys has confirmed that they have old copies of CS, CS2, CS3 and one copy of CS5 available (they never got CS4). Which one of these just ships with the application itself and nothing else I don't want? :)

Thanks for any help!

2. srw985 macrumors newbie

Don't you have the option to choose which components to include when you install the software?

3. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

No, I know for certain that at least some versions of Photoshop also include other things that can't be deselected.

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I know both Photoshop cs4 and cs5 you can choose to do a custom install and uncheck all the things you don't want.

Also i would go with Photoshop cs5 because its the latest release.

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

But if you're installing from a package disc, like the Master Collection, then it wont let you install only Photoshop, you'll have to install at least 1 other app, plus you're stuck with the updater, AIR, and all that other stuff that the OP is referring to.

I don't know about prior versions, but CS3 and higher are ones you want to avoid.

EDIT: If you're willing to go that old with Photoshop, you might as well check out Pixelmator as an alternative that's more affordable.

6. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, those are exactly the type of things that come along that I don't want. I'm glad someone else understands that they come and pollute. I would buy Pixelmator (it does look good) but there's no point, as I don't have to pay for this copy of Photoshop as it's coming from work.

I'll look into CS and CS2 then! Thanks :)

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Don't see the problem but if you are that scared about some lib files do a full backup (not time machine) and save it so you can roll back. Your IT guy have programs you can use to make an image.