Last Vietnam-era Draftee Retires

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Jul 3, 2011.

1. 184550, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

184550 Guest

Last Vietnam-era Draftee Is Retiring

Interesting article. I would stick it in 'Current Events' but I'm sure it'll find it's home in PRSI is a couple of posts.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I appreciate his service, looks like the politicians are back to doing the same kind of crap that made vietnam infamous. Bush/Cheney didnt learn anything from vietnam and here we go again. History repeating itself, U.S. spending billions and loosing lives for nothing. Hows that for PRSI?:cool:

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Wow, curious to think that a guy who didn't go willingly stuck it out that long. God bless him.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Many people enter into situations reluctantly, stick it out and make a success of it.

But for some reason, we're too easily fixated on the soldier.

I blame our culture.

God bless everyone.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well many times in our lives we are forced into something we did not go willing that work out for the better. I am sure you can think of some things from your own life.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

CSM Mellinger is an amazing leader, I have learned so much from him.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you know him? What's he like?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have donated to vets associations for years. I can't imagine what those guys have been through. Good for him.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've met him a few times, and worked under his guidance in Iraq, but I've never worked directly for him. That said, he really cares for the Soldiers - and will fight for what is best for them. He also doesn't take any ********, and will tell you exactly how it is - doesn't sugar-coat anything.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not that I would have made a career out of.

I grew up in a military family and hated every minute of it. The fact that this guy made himself as successful as he did at something he didn't ask to do says, to me, a lot about him - in a good way. :)

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

But that is the point you have things in your life that you were forced into that turned out to be really good.

For him the military turned out to be a really good fit and something he would of never done unless he was forced into it.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You might think so, but I'm drawing a blank trying to think of one.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Really?

Do you think every woman who mothered a child did so because that's what she wanted to do with her life?

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, but my comments to RP were about my own experiences. My child was a planned pregnancy.

In any event, the gentlemen in the linked article had the option of honorably leaving the profession if he decided it wasn't what he wanted. Parenthood doesn't have that option.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That is a distinction without a difference.

The post you replied stated simply, "but that is the point you have things in your life that you were forced into that turned out to be really good."

Parenthood easily qualifies under that condition.

But like I said earlier ... it's our culture. We're far more likely to focus on those who destroy than those who nurture.

Yes, it's twisted, but it is the way things are right now.

I still hold out hope that we'll evolve beyond this stage.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

He was talking about my life. Parenthood does not qualify in my case, since it was entirely elective.

You're still nitpicking parts of our discussion without regarding the whole of it - I commented that I had never been forced into a lifestyle that I willingly remained in. I stand by that, and I haven't said anything to the contrary.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Pardon me for trying to speak about general principles and human conditions.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion about you.