Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

would you get your glossy late 08 MBP replaced with a new matte screen MBP?

• yes, i will prefer it in matte

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • no, i love the glossy and will keep it

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • maybe...

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

volcom883

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
istanbul
hi, please VOTE ONLY if you already own a late 08 MBP and already seen a matte screened apple to know what it looks like

i believe the result of the pole will enlighten a lot of us..

lets say that apple brings out a new MBP with a matte screen option. and that you have the choice of getting your glossy MBP getting it exchanged with a matte screen one. what would you do? keep it cos you love it or get it exchanged because you the reflections are still kind of annoying..

reason for this pole is that i really want to find out whether one can really get used to the reflections or not.

i didnt get the new MBP just because of its high glassy reflective screen. however i had only seen it in apple store where there are a lof of spot lights. today seen it in another store and the reflections seemed ok to me be honest. though it was on full brightness! honestly, anybody using not using it on full brightness? possible?

sk47

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
mm... to be honest, I would want to stay with the glossy for now, but I'm pretty sure I will want to switch over to matte next. For me, it's been a cycle, matte then glossy then matte then glossy... I get bored easily so I welcome change :)

Christian G

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
I would have bought the matte, if there were one.

After this screen though, I don't think I would. This screen is awesome.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
No. From what I've been able to gather, the whole "Glossy is bad for color accuracy" is a myth, or at worst something that could be calibrated away. I know there are a lot of people who say otherwise, but no one has been able to give a satisfactory technical explanation for why this would be. The closest anyone has been able to give is "Matte is inaccurate, but matches the inacuracies of paper". (Odd, considering most graphic design results that get printed seem to wind up on high-gloss paper most of the time....)

It really is impressive to look at, and the reflections are rarely an issue unless there's a sunlight window angled to bounce straight into your eye.

stevo0o

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
I'll admit it. I was a wholehearted fan of matte screens. But after the glass glossy, I'm not sure I can go back. Everything even the background image looks stunning compared to my brother's older generation matte mbp.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
No. From what I've been able to gather, the whole "Glossy is bad for color accuracy" is a myth, or at worst something that could be calibrated away. [..].

It can't be calibrated away, and it is a myth.

The issue lies in the type of Panel that Apple (and most every Laptop manufacturer) uses in the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The notebook displays in these systems uses Twisted Nematic (TN) LCD technoligy which is often only capable of producing 6-bit color (there are rare, but expensive exceptions).

Professional LCD screens with more accurate color reproduction utilize In-Plane Switching (IPS). IPS is more often true 8-Bit feature true 24-bit color reproduction (16+ million colors) without dithering (using neighboring pixels to create a simulated shade). Most graphics shops, and photo editing studios will either have IPS, or high end CRT displays, and not TN type LCD displays.

TN Panels also suffer from lower viewing angles but cost a fraction of what an IPS or S-IPS (S=Super) displays run. The other advantage of TN is that it commonly has much faster refresh rates, and is more optimal for video playback, and gaming because there is less likelihood of ghosting.

Apple does use really good TN technology in the previous, and current MacBook Pro, however they are still not at the level of a studio grade IPS, or S-IPS LCD display in regards to color presentation. With that said, you can do some great work on TN LCDs, but you will have to do more work if you intend to get print accurate results.

image.php

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
(Odd, considering most graphic design results that get printed seem to wind up on high-gloss paper most of the time....)

That is simply not true. Most printed design is not on high-gloss paper. Vary few things beyond photographs are printed on high-gloss paper.

I think people concerned with doing color accurate work actually are not afraid of the screen color being inaccurate (though most of them think that is what they are afraid of). I think the problem is actually that it is hard to see what is on the accurately calibrated screen. Anytime there is a dark value on the screen (think photoshopping a dark web theme) your eyes have to fight to focus through the glass layer.

So far the glassy screen hasn't been as bad as I was dreading - but I would definitely take a look at a new matte option and consider switching. I haven't done a lot of graphics work on this new machine to know if the above phenomenon will make this screen irritate me like the aluminum imac's does. And just to be clear, this reflectiveness is the only issue I have with the new screens. I think they look fantastic otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.