Late '08 UMBP Battery swelled up, but my OEM replacement already has issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OverSpun, Aug 28, 2011.

1. OverSpun macrumors 65816

OverSpun

I went to the apple store a few weeks since I still have applecare until the end of the year-

I should the geniuses about the issues about my laptop since the battery was always charged and calibrated properly since I got it until the entire case got swollen.

- I first noticed that something was strange since the touchpad was totally stuck so I said... what the heck? I dont want to go to the apple store unless maybe a couple screws got loose somehow. Well, of course, I realized that it was definitely the battery issue on top that the battery panel didn't even fit on the laptop again. Well, the final issue was that my screen-lid is even tweaked from it.

Well, either way- The apple store luckily had only 1 left battery replacement and they slapped it in and they wanted me to leave my laptop overnight so they could replace my entire screenlid but I didn't have time backup w/ time machine so I said I'd have to bring it back.

So, now back to today:

My replacement battery somehow thinks that it can charge up to 5015 mAh that I have known that they are 4800mAh batteries (via Coconut Battery) since it actually shows its capacity up to 106%. What the heck?

I'm trying to calibrate it again to see if it clears itself up down to 4800mAh since I don't really want to go back to the apple store again for this battery again, but I think the first swollen battery could have totally jacked up the laptop? :mad:

2. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Don't sweat it it's normal. Took mine in a few weeks ago and had the exact same results (106% now @ 104%)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nothing is wrong with your battery. It's normal for the battery health to fluctuate up and down over time, and it quite often appears to be higher than 100%. It's not completely accurate. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 65816

OverSpun

5. Jrv macrumors regular

Sounds like you've got a super battery. I wouldn't complain.