Late '08 Unibody MBP: battery door lid won't close properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgpg89, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Got a problem with my late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro: the battery door lid on the back won't close anymore ... at least not on the right side.

Here's a photo illustrating the issue: (photo taken with the lid 'closed' as far as possible)
    http://cl.ly/Ar9G

I tried closing it again several times, following Apple's recommended procedure very closely, to no avail. Even checked for missing parts in the lid and in the battery chamber hinges, but didn't find any flaws.

Anyone know how to fix this? It's really bugging me.

2. wrinkster22, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011

wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

you could call applecare allthough that would cost you

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Is your battery bulging? I had the same problem and it turned out to be my battery bulging as it wore out.

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Yep, that turned out to be the problem! The battery is slightly bulging.

Worst of all, I already ordered a replacement battery about a year ago for a similar problem, except last time, the lid closed just fine but the battery started pushing my trackpad up from the inside, so I couldn't use or click it anymore.

Anything I can do (except ordering a new battery ... again) ?

5. rachel816 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem when my battery was bulging. For a few weeks leading up until when I finally realized that the battery was so swolen, I was experiencing VERY erratic trackpad/keyboard behavior. It finally got to a point where my computer was no longer usable and I took it to the Apple store. Turns out the battery was so swolen that it was pushing up on the bottom of my trackpad so that it was basically unclickable anymore. I have a late 2008 MPB, and I have had to get the battery replaced twice now. Apple didn't charge me either time.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

No, it's not actually. I just called Apple and they said they won't replace the battery for free. I'm not willing to pay €130 each year for a new battery because of a design error.

8. rachel816 macrumors newbie

That's weird. Both times when I went in to get a new battery, they didn't even really ask any questions. It was almost like they were expecting me to come in there and tell them I needed a new one. lol Apparently they had seen it a thousand times. My brother had some really offbeat issue with his computer last year (I forget what it was exactly). It was a rare problem, but my brother googled it and found that other people were starting to have his same problem, proving that it was a defect and not his fault. The guys at the Apple Store were really nice about it and didn't make him pay to fix it, even though they, themselves, had never encountered that problem before. Maybe try talking to a different representative. :p

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would take all of the batteries or receipts into an Apple Store and talk to someone. I bet that they will give you a replacement.

10. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I don't live in the US, so I guess I'm not entitled to the renowned Apple customer support.

To put it bluntly: Apple Belgium tried to screw me over with this battery issue. Whenever someone buys something in the European Union, they get a 2-year legal warranty. Apple only advertises one year of commercial warranty, but that doesn't override the legal warranty, as that would be unlawful. So that's exactly what I told AppleCare Belgium over the phone a few hours ago ... then they fed me some ******** story on how batteries aren't covered by these laws because of the 'deteriorating nature' of batteries. Sounds plausible, except it's not: I double-checked the law and consulted some friends of mine who are in law school.

So now, I basically have the choice to:
    A) buy a new €130 battery every 1 or 2 years, as I assume it'll keep happening
    B) have a lawyer settle this (seems a bit overkill)

----------

There are no official Apple Stores in Belgium, only resellers.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's not a design error. It's a failing battery. They make them so they swell like that instead of building up pressure and then exploding. Most batteries don't end up swelling because it's only a particular type of failure that results in that, but it's not a design fault, it's a safety feature. There's nothing you can do but get a new battery.

jW

12. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Had the same problem last August, granted it was the original battery, went into an Apple Store (SLC Gateway), could have spent 129 on a new battery with year warranty or 99 genius battery with 90 day warranty. Are you sure your recently purchased battery is out of warranty?

(Newly purchased battery should have a new warranty period independent of the MacBook Pro).