(Late 2006 Blackbook) Help with moving from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard (10.6)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Forsaken, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

Well, I might move to SL soon, but because I've never experienced OS version migration before, I'd like some help with everything.

Note: I know that it is possible to install 10.6 from 10.4 using the bare SL disc but it's a risk I won't take so I'm going the safe route and I'll 98% certainly use the SL disc in the Mac Box Set.

Firstly, will I need to backup anything, reinstall apps, or such? I know I'll have to update some applications (VLC for example) but I want to know what will happen to my data. Once I finish the installation, will all my data still be there? Am I going to miss or lose anything? Will any files be corrupt or so?

Second:
    How will SL preform on my Late 2006 black MacBook?
    It's 2ghz, Intel Core Duo 2, with 1 GB of memory, 667 MHz, DDR2 SDRAM.
    Will it ever hang or otherwise crash abnormally? How much memory could I expect to have left?

And most importantly, how do I install it anyway?

Thanks for all the help, guys.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, it's always best to back up your system before doing something like this. Do you have an external drive?

I've recently installed Snow Leopard on my MacBook, although I was upgrading from Leopard rather than Tiger, and I did it this way.

First I partitioned my external drive and then cloned my MacBook to one of the partitions using Carbon Copy Cloner.
    I then installed Snow Leopard onto the other partition. When you do this you are asked if you want to transfer all your account details from the MacBook. When this is complete you are left with a fully working Snow Leopard installation on the external drive, complete with all your account settings any any 3rd party software, and a fully working MacBook.

You can then start the MacBook from the external drive by holding down the Option key until you get a screen giving you the choice of boot options. With the computer running off Snow leoprad you can play with it and see what works, what doesn't, update any Applications and get new printer drivers etc etc.

When happy that everything is OK you can reformat the HD on the MacBook and then clone the Snow Leopard installation from the external drive to your MacBook.

You'll end up with a bit more space on your hard drive as SN tkes up less room than Tiger.

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Definitely the way to do it. Especially if your MB is used for business. It means you can trial Snow safe in the knowledge of being able to go back to Tiger should it all go pear shaped.

4. Forsaken thread starter macrumors regular

Forsaken

Well, I'm a bit embarrassed to say...but no, I don't have one.

oh and you expect a 13 year old to have some sort of business? XD

But srsly, because I don't had a EHD, what could I do?

and also, by "soon," I mean in 2 or so weeks.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You definately need to back up your files, and any third party software that you have installed. Is it a bit late to get some one to buy you an external drive for Christmas? Or borrow one. Or back up to DVDs or a USB stick.

6. Forsaken thread starter macrumors regular

Forsaken

I'm requesting Apple Store gift cards for Christmas, so I'll probably be able to actually get an external HD after the 25th.