Late-2006 MBP hotter than ever. Who are the usual suspects? Dead fans? Thermal paste?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Egosphere, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Egosphere macrumors member

I have a late-2006 MBP (MacBookPro2,2 with 2.33 C2D, pre-Santa Rosa, pre-unibody). It's been running strong for many years now (besides cosmetic defects and dead isight), but in the past half year or so it's been running hotter than ever. I didn't worry too much but just the other day after some heavy computing I actually got some graphical defects (a common symptom of an overhot system). So now I'm determined to fix the issue. (Also I'm worried for my sperm count.)

So who are the usual suspects when an old laptop starts getting hotter than ever? Is there some sort of standard upkeep for old laptops like reapply thermal paste or some such? (Unlike some 2006 MBP customers, I never reapplied thermal paste to replace Apple's.) Could it be dead or clogged fans? From the sound my MBP, all fans work, but maybe I'm only hearing all but one and not knowing better. What is a good way to make sure my laptop's cooling system isn't clogged with dust? Can I just open it up and vacuum it? Can I buy better fans? Any other advice?

Another thing is that all but one of my lappy's little rubber feet are decapitated (but this doesn't affect what I see above because I always put it on something to raise it to let the bottom cool) and I would like to find replacements. What are good cheap ones? Can I find the very same ones even? (The decapitated feet, though, still left their bodies inside the aluminum--they're really decapitated not just removed and lost--so I don't know if those can be removed to make room for new feets; stick-on feet might be a better route).

Anyway, don't worry, I'll probably soon buy a new MBP, but I'd still like to keep this one running.

Thanks for the help.

2. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I would try replacing the thermal paste. My santa rosa MBP would often get so hot while watching videos or playing games that it would just shut off. I replaced the thermal paste and that problem went away. Also, if you haven't already download smcfancontrol, get it.