Late 2008 2.4ghz w/ 9600m GT or Early 2009 2.53ghz w/ 9400m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IsaiahJ, Aug 25, 2009.

1. IsaiahJ macrumors newbie

First post here for the community!

My MacBook was crushed at work and I am in the market for a MacBook Pro. I was looking on Craigslist when I found both of these MBP's for $1,300.

1. Late 2008 MBP
    2.4GHz
    4GB
    320GB HD
    nVidia GeForce 9600M GT with 256MB

2. Early 2009 MBP
    2.53GHz
    4GB
    250GB HD
    nVidia GeForce 9400M

Which choice would you make? Is the processor difference worth the GPU difference? Let me know please!

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

If you don't do any heavy graphics or gaming, then you won't miss the 9600GT that much. Go for the newer model.

3. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yes, I second that.

4. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

trust me get the 15inch it has higer resell value and is an allround better machine

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'd have to weigh your needs here.

The older model offers a sustantially faster GPU, ExpressCard slot for expansions like memory card readers, eSATA, etc.

Really the only thing you get from the newer model is a slightly faster processor and the new integrated battery; depending on your needs the latter may be good or bad; if you are often without a charger and is the type who carries about 2 spare batteries normally, the older model will serve you better.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I'd get the newer one. The 9400M is a good card, and is sufficient for most people. And you get the 60% more color gamut screen, which is substantially better! You also get the built-in battery with over 7 hours battery life, compared to upto 4/5 hours on the original. You'd get your free (up-to-date) upgrade to snow leopard. You wouldn't miss the extra graphics card, and the CPU is a little better, so it does sort of break even.

Go for the new one.

:apple:

7. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Couldn't have said it better myself :D I would listen to that advice...

The only benefit of going with the 15" would be the 9600M GT which would provide more than just graphical benefit once snow leopard is released *cough* openCL *cough*.

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

The 9600M GT is a good card, however if it's not gonna be used heavily, no point. Might as well go for the other one.