Late 2009 27 inch iMac running really hot as of late.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nsknike, Dec 6, 2013.

1. nsknike macrumors regular

Hi, my iMac has started having idling temps of 65-70c, and it used to always be around 30c before. I haven't changed anything with my computer, and I haven't downloaded anything in the past week. Does anyway have a way I can find out why it is running so hot? Thanks.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

3. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Open it and clean it.

Plenty of guides out there but all you really need is a suction cup for the screen, some torx screw bits and a bit of patience.

Remove the LCD panel and then use a can of compressed air to clean the fans. If you can, carefully remove the power board and force air down the CPU heatsink as sometimes dust can get compacted in there.

Just did all of this to mine and it made a huge difference with the running temps.

If it doesn't you likely have a failed fan or a faulty temp sensor.

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Agree with twimfy - most people get a big surprise when they see what builds up inside. Our iMacs don't have filters, so they slowly gather dust and it sticks on everything.

Good Luck

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

The thermostat/fan on my 2009 iMac failed and cooked the graphics card. A few hours before the computer died I had noticed the case of the computer was so hot it it would almost burn my hand to touch it.

6. ccapman670 macrumors regular

What temperatures are normal? And when you say running at what temperature is being referred too, cpu? I have a late 2009 27" too. iStat is showing the following, do I need to take mine apart and clean it out? Thanks!!

HD: 50 C
    CPU: 47 C
    Ambient: 20 C
    GPU Diode: 62 C
    GPU heatsink: 61 C
    Mem controller: 50 C
    Optical Drive: 44 C
    Power supply: 63 C