Late 2009 27in iMac display has died need to recover hard drive.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mdoyle, Apr 25, 2015.

1. mdoyle, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

mdoyle macrumors member

Hi my Late 2009 iMac died (The display broke and the Apple Store could not get the machine to power on fully to do a recovery) I didn't have them repair the machine as its due to be classed vintage at the end of the year and Apple said no further support would be given when that time came round, so i bought a late 2013 21in to replace it

I've managed to remove the hard drive from the old mac but was wondering what gear/leads i need to hook it up to the new one and use as an external hard drive to recover my iPhoto and iTunes Library and a few other movies i downloaded

Hard drive is a Western Digital 1.0tb Sata/64mb cache
    mdl WD10EARX
    Caviar Green

Thanks in advance for any/all help you can give me.

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I would just buy a hard drive dock. Or an empty external enclosure. Then you just hook it up with a usb or tb cable. Very easy to do. Good luck

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

A USB3/SATA docking station, or a USB3/SATA "adapter", should do what you need.

To see what these are, go to amazon.com and enter into the search box:
    "usb3 sata dock"
    or
    "usb3 sata adapter"

You should see many choices

4. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

5. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Don't use this drive as an external drive.

We see lots of the western digital green hard drives dying a nasty death.

Get your data off it quick and then get rid.

6. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

You are very very lucky, the drive lasted that long. I have had 4 Caviar Greens (20EARX and 20EARS) in my NAS and one by one they all died. Go for Caviar Red or Black drives. I would also stay away from Seagate, they have a worse reliability record than WD, Samsung (IBM) and Hitachi (now WD).

7. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

All i need it for is to retrieve my iTunes and iPhoto liberaries if possible and copy and past them onto my new iMac.
    Will save me hrs of redownloading movies off the internet and £££ in buying a superdrive which i still can't believe Apple removed from these machines to reinstall all my music cd's

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

On the other hand, please please please buy another external drive for Time Machine backup. If instead of your iMac dying the hard drive had died, all your data would have gone.

9. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Managed to use a HD enclosure and rescue my data.
    I owned a Time Machine a few years back nifty piece of kit but had to sell it due to finances. Unfort finances are still not good and that piece of kit will have to wait although i will purchase another one when i have the money. Nice to not only have your data but a copy of you're entire OS ready to reload.

At least i have 2 running hard drives. The once in my new mac and old one in the enclosure.