Late 2009 32GB iPod Touch- NO DISPLAY AT ALL. Otherwise great!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by quantum003, Mar 12, 2010.

1. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Hi,

I have a 32GB iPod Touch late 2009, so it's a 3rd gen model, it's a beautiful device but it's very sick. It acts just like a normal iPod would, in terms of on/off sounds and the way it interacts with iTunes, but the display shows nothing. It lights up but there are no colored pixels, the screen is always a flat ghostly grey/yellow. You can lock and unlock the iPod, and hear other sounds indicating that these things are happening the way they should, but other than that the iPod is useless because you just can't see what the heck it's doing. I tried restoring it several times but the display just hasn't come back.

When I complained about this problem to Apple they said that they would fix it free (under warranty until Dec. 2010) so I mailed it in... but I soon received a messaging telling me that my service was denied because my iPod was damaged by my carelessness. I don't have the foggiest notion how this could have happened! I will pay for the repairs myself if necessary, but I am hoping that someone hear has encountered this problem before and might have some idea of what has gone wrong, and how I might resolve this problem without dumping any more cash on it. I have tried restoring to factory settings, and I have tried holding down both buttons for long periods but nothing seems to be happening...

Thanks!! :D

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If they took it apart and saw that the liquid submersion indicators have been triggered, that's probably why they couldn't do a free repair for you. Call AppleCare and ask for documentation on why your repair was denied. The agent may have to clear it with a higher up but someone should be able to send you pictures that the depot is supposed to capture before they deny service.

3. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Thanks for your excellent advice. The response I received was that a test performed on my iPod revealed the presence of liquid inside the headphone jack.

So now I know at least. I'm pretty handy and I've fixed a lot of stuff in my time... I'm fairly sure that if I could pinpoint the part that has failed (and it's not the logic board...), I would be capable of replacing it myself. Everything works just fine, all normal noises, functions correctly when plugged into computer and into car stereo system... just the part responsible for projecting data onto that LCD screen has failed.

Does anyone have any idea what I might try? Is it worth opening up the iPod and seeing if it will "dry out" and start working again? :confused:

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You could try but chances are that it would be cheaper to just get it replaced OOW by Apple or buy a new one. Looking @ ifixit's iPod touch Late 2009 page, there are no parts available for order.

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

1. My iPod doesn't work
    2. I didn't break it
    3. It's otherwise great!
    4. lol

6. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Glad I could brighten your day. :p

I bought it used and apparently got screwed. I opened it up enough last night to feel moisture inside. Craigslist... Live and learn.

7. metalhead777 macrumors regular

Always be sure to test it in front of whomever sold it to you BEFORE you give your money to the person. They could be giving you a piece of junk or paperweight. Always be cautious when buying off of Craigslist or eBay.

8. Don2 macrumors newbie

quantum003,

How did you open it up so quickly? I know the 2nd Gens are a devil to get apart not sure about 3rd Gen 32 GB. Maybe they are more like taking apart an Iphone with the two screws in the end.